Monday, May 23, 2022

Justifying Partial Reps

It was so hot (94F) this weekend that I stayed inside for most of it. With a family history of heatstroke, I wasn't taking any chances. Even the dogs weren't thrilled although always happy to be outside at the Bark Park, but not running, jumping or chasing. Today is more seasonably temperate (56F this morning). I'm much happier. But still tired. And my sciatica is bothering me with odd asymmetrical aches: left glute, right calf, behind the left knee... 

I barely make 2.9 today on the elliptical. I hate people who eat candy bars (okay, it was a protein bar) and then leave the sticky wrapper in the phone holder. Self-indulgent, self-centered morons. Everything else is routine, including pull-ups, push-ups, planks and stretching. 

I read an article justifying partial reps and wondered if that also applied to my pull-up efforts. Of course, my reasons for partial reps have nothing to do with "occlusion training" (my god that sounds really painful), and everything to do with being able to do a movement without causing debilitating injuries to my elbows and forearms. I can do a bunch of partial hammer-grip pull-ups. If I drop to full extension, I might get a dozen but I'll be out of commission for everything that involves arms for weeks thereafter because of how bad the tendonitis will be. I know because I've already suffered this, and unlike most idiots, I know doing the same thing over and over just leads to the same results over and over.

However, what I keep forgetting to do is file my callouses and strands of hair get caught on my palms as I undo my braid to go shower. I run a pumice stone over the callouses while they're wet and that helps, but it's not as good as a decent flat file. That'll have to wait until I get home, and hopefully remember to do it.

23 May 2021
Brisk Bright Monday Morn

Precor elliptical #3
Program 1
Time: 30 min + 5 min cd (5788)
Distance: 2.90
Cal: 325
Avg Hr 144, 190-78

HGPU 23

Crunches 60
Piriformis/Hip/Pencil Stretch
60 Dead Bugs
Elbow Plank 60s
Quick Child’s Pose
Cat stretch 12x
Fire Hydrants 25 x 2
Bird Dogs 60s x 2
Side Elbow Plank 2 x 30s
Child’s Pose
Push-Ups 25
Air Squats 25
Pull-apart band 25
Gentle upper body stretch
Eye yoga x 3

HGPU 22

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...