Friday, March 18, 2022

Fog Then Summer Temps

There was a heavy fog warning in effect this morning but I don't think that's the reason why the gym was nearly empty. Chatter in the locker room mused about one too many slices of Irish soda bread and too many glasses of green brew. Yes, we had the traditional corned beef (boiled three times to lower the sodium content) but with pan-fried cabbage and carrots, and baked sweet potato slices topped with powdered ginger, garlic and salt. No green beer.

Still, I felt tired and sluggish when I got on the elliptical. I'd skipped yesterday's workout, took some ibuprofen and went back to bed. It seems to have helped some. My sciatica is only troublesome today when I sit in my car, because of course, it's my driving leg. The more I review my routine, the more I'm convinced that the Rip Skulls have aggravated my DB shoulder work back in and see if I get a flare up. There's probably no hope of me doing much Seated Cable Rows again either. (Sigh)

It feels as if everyone took off for a long weekend. The local HS by the gym wasn't open although school was biz as usual today in my town. Someone else is on the elliptical I like so I use the one at the far end. There is godawful loud chatter from the free weight area but there's only 3 people there, and only one of them is actually exercising. Somethings never change. 

I didn't get as many pull-ups as last time but still pretty good so I'm not too disappointed. The stair climber was as capricious as ever, briefly touching 60 Steps Per Minute for a few seconds before dropping down to 52 for most of the remaining time. I manage to match my reps for the second set of pull-ups so that makes me feel better. I did have to rub some Penetrex cream into my shoulders this morning before I dressed--might've slept weird on them as they were achy. As long as I'm not actually getting sick!

My son has had a sore throat for two days but no fever. He doesn't want to miss any school and fall behind in his classes so I haven't opened the At Home Covid test kits. Obviously, I don't think he has Covid. The school bus driver tells me that a lot of the drivers have sore throats as do a lot of the students. I'm thinking it's strep so we have an appointment later today to see the pediatrician. Untreated strep infections can lead to rheumatic fever which injures the heart and can lead to health complications later in life. I know because that's what happened to my mother when she was a child.

Meanwhile, we keep discovering all sorts of crazy new "foods," like freeze-dried avocados. I didn't think something with such a high fat content would handle that process very well, but then again, there's freeze-dried ice cream. The avocado comes in 3 "flavors" and has a texture just like freeze-dried ice cream, but with a savory taste. And where did I find this? At the Ocean State Job Lot, where weird foods get sold cheap. Other interesting items include oven-baked, crispy snack "toppings" of onions, beets or jalapenos. Personally, the jalapenos are my favorite and I can eat them right out of the bag. Yes, they're coated in flour before being cooked, but they're also spicy and addictive. And not quite so weird.

My hubs got these at the Stop&Shop
 
It's midday and temps are slated to hit near 70F today. The Ground Hog was wrong. It's definitely spring already (actually that happens this Sunday) even if temps drop into the 50s.

18 March 2021
Foggy Friday Morning

Precor elliptical
Program 1
Time: 30 min + 5 min cd (5656)
Distance: 2.85
Cal: 317
Avg HR: n/a

HGPU 20

Crunches 60
Piriformis/Hip/Pencil Stretch
60 Dead Bugs
Elbow Plank 60s
Quick Child’s Pose
Cat stretch 12x
Fire Hydrants 25 x 2
Bird Dogs 60s x 2
Child’s Pose
Push-Ups 30
Air Squats 25
Mild Mat stretch w 3 Eye Yoga

HGPU 20

Matrix StepMill (L)
Manual 10 min
Speed 6 (52-60)
Step 528
Floors 33
Calories 77
HR: 135

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...