Thursday, March 10, 2022

Between Storms

I'm a little sore from shoveling wet snow last night but with temps hitting the mid-40s today, all the roadways and sidewalks are clear. It snowed for a long time yesterday and although there was little real accumulation (1-3 inches), the roads were a slippery mushy mess and with the exception of taking my kid to the school bus stop and the dogs to the park, I stayed home. Today the sun is bright and wet snow pummels us as we drive or walk anywhere there are trees overhead. Of course, everything not pavement is still covered in the slushy white stuff!

At the gym, I'm not surprised I can hear Lazy Pedals and Middle-Aged Guy on the first two ellipticals even before I'm within 20 feet of them. Luckily, they're done just a few minutes after I start pedaling Program 2. I feel cold, stiff, and tired and I have my hoodie up over my head, my sleeves past my palms because the metal handle is frigid to hold. My right leg aches ever so slightly from sciatica, but after the cardio is over, it's the left glute that's sore. It's all sciatic pain but mild enough to be ignored.

The right shoulder twinges when I move the wrong way and that makes me more nervous as I approach the Stretch Cage for pull-ups. Happily, the hammer grip position doesn't exacerbate the old labial tear in the rotator cuff. Shoveling snow isn't great for shoulders. Or backs. But I did want to do a few sets of a DB shoulder workout since I won't have time tomorrow. (Planning to have lunch with a friend to celebrate our birthdays next week. I've lived in this town for 30 years and there's still a few restaurants I've never visited. Tomorrow I'm going to finally check out The Carriage House. Heard the food was good but the service uneven. We'll see.) 

I read an article yesterday claiming that slightly rotating one's hands during DB Lateral Raises spares the shoulders. Instead of hands positioned with the pinkies up (like pouring a pitcher), have the hands tilt thumbs up. I'm not sure if this really works, but I find myself in this position today without really having to think about it.Weird, right?

I'll still make it to the gym tomorrow though just to get my cardio and core exercises done. And the pups will still go to the park. And there's a new storm headed our way by Friday evening, already named Winter Storm Quinlan by the weather folk... Saturday might be messy. But Sunday our Scout troop is marching in the St. Pat's parade, so I hope the weather's good by then.

10 March 2021
Post Storm Thursday Morning

Precor elliptical
Program 2
Time: 30 min + 5 min cd (5706)
Distance: 2.87
Cal: 320
HR: n/a

HGPU 22

Crunches 60
Piriformis/Hip/Pencil Stretch
60 Dead Bugs
Elbow Plank 60s
Quick Child’s Pose
Cat stretch 12x
Fire Hydrants 25 x 2
Bird Dogs 60s x 2
Child’s Pose
Push-Ups 30
Air Squats 25
Mild Mat stretch w 3 Eye Yoga

HGPU 20?

DB Laterals s/s Rev Incl Flyes
10 lbs x 15/20 reps
15 x 15/22 reps
15/20 lbs x 15/20 reps x 3 sets

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...