Friday, March 4, 2022

Deceptively Sunny

The thermometer read 13F when I got up today and rose only 10 degrees more by the time I took the pups to the park. It's Friday and ridiculously crowded for the early morning, but perhaps folks just want to get this chore out of the way before the weekend begins? I'm cold and stiff and on the machine furthest from Lazy Pedals who is draped over his console while chatting animatedly with a fellow standing a mere foot away.

It takes me at least 15 minutes before I'm warm enough to discard my hoodie and build up a little speed. When I compare today's results to the same time and program I did during the afternoons  back in February, I can see little difference in mileage (2.93 vs. 2.94) or steps (5902 vs. 5894). It is odd though that I have slightly more steps with slightly less mileage, probably due to timing: did I speed up or slow down during peaks or troughs?

This of course makes me quite pleased with myself this morning until I find myself standing in the Stretch Cage, wondering if I'll be able to do more than a dozen reps. I just have to stop worrying and focus on counting! The faint but persistent low back ache is enough to dissuade me from attempting Seated Cable Rows today. Well, that and the fact that it's really crowded, and the teens haven't arrived yet!

I always feel better after stretching my hips and back in the Aerobics Room. And I'm careful never to skip push-ups, air squats or eye yoga. I get to the Stretch Cage and fidget for a minute or two before attempting my second set of pull-ups. Usually I have a preconceived number in my head that I'm striving to meet, but that can foul me up if I'm able to surpass it physically but not mentally. I've quit a set knowing I had another rep or two in me, but my head got to that number and pulled the plug even though the body was willing, and probably able. Mind games suck, especially with yourself. 

The Step Mills are vacant so I do 10 minutes. No Big Baldy. No Hurdle Stepper. From high up on the stair climber, I witness familiar faces expressing pleasant surprise at seeing each other. Lazy Pedals is chatting up a gal I haven't seen in some years. Like me, she's put on a bit of weight, but still retains muscles under the puffy flesh. I'm jealous of her delt caps, but I got better triceps. Recently I read about a study where a mere 3 seconds of concentrated effort was enough to improve muscular strength, but not muscle mass. Kind of reminds me of those popular isometric exercise routines from the 70s! Another article tells me the minimal amount of muscle-strengthening exercise I need to prolong my life: a scant 30-60 minutes a week! Whoa Nelly!


4 March 2021
Crowded Arctic Friday

Precor elliptical
Program 2
Time: 30 min + 5 min cd (5902)
Distance: 2.93
Cal: 330
HR: n/a

HGPU 22

Crunches 60
Piriformis/Hip/Pencil Stretch
60 Dead Bugs
Elbow Plank 60s
Quick Child’s Pose
Cat stretch 12x
Fire Hydrants 25 x 2
Bird Dogs 60s x 2
Child’s Pose
Push-Ups 30
Air Squats 25
Mild Mat stretch w 3 Eye Yoga

HGPU 21

Matrix StepMill (left)
Manual 10 min
Speed 6 (52-57)
Step 545
Floors 34
Calories 80
HR: 150

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...