Monday, March 21, 2022

Sunny Monday Morning

There is but a lone peeper in the pond behind my property. I'm glad he's survived the raucous croaking of wood frogs that have all but drowned out everything else at night. They sound like an odd duck symphony quacking in masse. Most other wetlands merrily trill with the shrill song of male peepers. Our property only appears to have but one and it's been this way for some years now. He seems lonely without the competing chirps of other males and I can only hope there are silent females answering his plaintiff call. But if there were, and they had laid their eggs, where are all their offspring? There used to be a lot more peepers singing behind my house and I don't know why we don't have them anymore.

You know it's spring when the night is alive with croaking so loud and overlapped that no one distinctive call is discernible. No low guttural bullfrog croaks yet. Those only happen during the summer and they are distinctive entities, because bullfrogs eat everything, including other frogs. Smart survivor frogs know to keep their distance!




My sciatica is better: I haven't lifted any weights. I hope to gingerly test my theory by doing a few sets of DB shoulder raises, probably on Wednesday. I'm also thinking of adding some Inclined DB presses to that mix for balance. Today, I squoze out one more rep on the second set of pull-ups. What a surprise. Yaaay me! 

The gym isn't actually crowded but there sure are a lot of big cars parked close to the gym this morning. I don't see Snow Bird, but Big Baldy is pedaling a stationary bike. A familiar Old Guy is already on one of the stair machines. The StepMill is so vexxing that I'm tempted to push the speed to 7 just see if that'll be closer to 60 steps per minute instead of the 52 it seems to be averaging (527 total steps divided by 10 min equals 52.7 steps per min). The machine sporadically darts up to 60, 57, 55 for a split second but inevitably settles at 52, all while the speed is set to 6.

I've finally remembered to call Electric Snake for my sluggish, soon-to-be-totally-clogged kitchen drain. It doesn't matter how much drain cleaner and hot water I pour down, a big pot of soapy water overwhelms the system and I have to walk away to let the drain trickle itself empty in an hour or so. No one has time like that! 

Anyway, Happy Spring and enjoy the sounds of frogs trilling...

21 March 2021
Monday Morning

Precor elliptical
Program 2
Time: 30 min + 5 min cd (5590)
Distance: 2.84
Cal: 315
Avg HR: 151, 84-188

HGPU 20

Crunches 60
Piriformis/Hip/Pencil Stretch
60 Dead Bugs
Elbow Plank 60s
Quick Child’s Pose
Cat stretch 12x
Fire Hydrants 25 x 2
Bird Dogs 60s x 2
Child’s Pose
Push-Ups 30
Air Squats 25
Mild Mat stretch w 3 Eye Yoga

HGPU 21

Matrix StepMill (L)
Manual 10 min
Speed 6 (52-60)
Step 527
Floors 33
Calories 77
HR: 141

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...