Monday, March 14, 2022

In Spite Of

I'm actually pretty sore today and maybe it's from the St. Pat's parade route that we walked twice yesterday (once to get to our start point from where we parked, and then the actual parade route which ended at the shopping center with the big parking lot), or the spontaneous dancing my hubs and I broke into at a steakhouse that featured live music but no actual steak on the menu, or the fact that my sciatica reared its super ugly head after spending all day Saturday backing up my laptop onto a brand new 14Tb external hard drive. Because Winter Storm Quinlan made going anywhere impossible and lasted all freaking day. (But the step counter on my phone was happy for once.)

The sciatica runs the entire length of my leg from lower back all the way to my pinky toe but I've resisted the urge to pop a few ibuprofens. I think movement helps and there was a lot of that yesterday, but I still hobbled out of bed this morning wondering if this was going to feel worse before getting better. Sitting in the car was very unpleasant. And I got a slow start on the elliptical probably because we lost an hour of sleep yesterday due to that idiotic Daylight Savings Time so it was dark when the alarm went off. I am not and never will be a "morning person."

But as I warmed up, I got faster and there was less discomfort. I got a respectable number of pull-up reps and the core routine felt reassuringly routine. I got another set of pull-ups afterward, but one of the step machines suffered a program malfunction rendering it unusable, and an old guy beat me to the other one by a mere moment. Ugh. If it's not fixed by tomorrow, I'll have to figure out what other cardio machine I can use that won't aggravate my tender sciatic nerves. 

I'm done and the day is bright and shiny even if it is 35F outside. Dogs are ecstatic at the park because both cold temps and snow energize them and there are other happy puppers to zoom with. Temps promise to rise into the mid-50s and maybe hit 70 by Friday. Wow, what a tease! 'Cuz it's still March and snow's always possible in April.

14 March 2021
Sciatic Birthday Morning

Precor elliptical
Program 1
Time: 30 min + 5 min cd (5560)
Distance: 2.82
Cal: 312
HR: n/a

HGPU 21

Crunches 60
Piriformis/Hip/Pencil Stretch
60 Dead Bugs
Elbow Plank 60s
Quick Child’s Pose
Cat stretch 12x
Fire Hydrants 25 x 2
Bird Dogs 60s x 2
Child’s Pose
Push-Ups 30
Air Squats 25
Mild Mat stretch w 3 Eye Yoga

HGPU 19

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...