Friday, November 19, 2021

Cautious Maintenance

I'm still sore from Wednesday's workout so I'm cautious. Program 1 is difficult because of all the flat pedaling (incline 1-2) although there are a few peaks at incline 12-13. I'm glad to get the cardio over and done with. While I'm pedaling I see Snow Bird at the Back Extension machine next to the Stretch Cage and immediately I think I've got to get a set of pull-ups in right after I'm done with the elliptical. 

I'm surprised to get one more rep today than yesterday and truthfully, I'd forgotten that I'd done HGPUs yesterday. Normally I don't do them two days in a row because the movement puts a lot of strain on my elbow tendons. My forearm is just ever so slightly sore today. At least I'm getting my exercise in and potentially subverting common cancer risks, according to The New York Times. Apparently, inactivity is killing us (well, duh). Even if I'm only going 3-4 days a week, it counts more than walking 45 minutes daily.

In the Aerobics Room, I skip the Camel (dip down) portion of the stretch and feel how the tension in my middle back dissipates with each Cat (arch upward) stretch repetition. Push-ups are harder today. Air Squats are fine. I'm developing a rash on my legs again, same as last winter with no known reason why. I know I went to see the dermatologist about it but I can't remember what the outcome was, or if there was any resolution whatsoever. A lot of skin stuff gets symptomatic treatment, like a steroid cream and nothing else. And my skin is ridiculously sensitive and fragile. 

My wired earbuds announce ominously that the battery power is low so I swap them for the AirPods I keep in my gear bag. Truthfully, I hardly ever use them so it'll be interesting to see just how long one charge will last. And I don't use them unless I have to because I can't get the volume high enough to drown out all the surrounding chatter; sometimes it seems like the only exercise folks are getting is with their jaws. The AirPods are more convenient though when I have to lay down because there's no wire to stick to the back of my sweaty neck or get tangled in my hair. 

The Seated Cable Rows make me apprehensive because I can feel the shadow of my sciatica lurking in the right glute and foot. After a warm up set, I proceed slowly with the first 70 lb set. There are weird contractions in the center of my middle to lower back and I'm prepared to stop but everything settles down. The next two sets, with slightly fewer reps, feel good. I'll find out tomorrow whether my optimism was premature.

At the Breaker Bench, I can drape my hoodie on the end to lay my head, and hook my feet on the support under the front end of the bench between the bar rests. This is my preferred position for doing Rip Skulls as I don't have to worry about balancing since my feet are anchored. Rip Skulls are hard on my elbows but today they're okay with a dozen reps for 3 sets. Yaaay me!

19 Nov 2021
Frosty Friday

Precor elliptical
Program 1
Time: 30 min + 5 min cd (5508)
Distance: 2.81
Cal: 311
HR: 139-194, 85

HGPU 13

Crunches 60
Piriformis/Hip/Pencil Stretch
Elbow Plank 60s
Quick Child’s Pose
Cat Pose x 10
Fire Hydrants 25 x 2
Bird Dogs 60s x 2
Child’s Pose
Push-Ups 25
Air Squats 25

Mild Mat stretch w 3 Eye Yoga

Seated Cable Rows
50 lbs x 15 reps
70 x 15, 12, 12

Rip Skulls
30 lbs x 12, 12, 12

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...