Friday, November 12, 2021

Bailing on the Storm

I took the dogs to the park for a brief jaunt this morning with the intentions of getting to the gym later, but the storm has intensified. I don't like driving when there's no visibility due to the sheets of rain, the threat of downed trees, and the potential for hydroplaning. The skies will clear later this afternoon but that's too late for me. The gym will be crowded with HS kids and shift workers.

I'm actually still sore from Wednesday as I also skipped the gym yesterday (Veterans Day), preferring to ignore my alarm and catch up on sleep. Of course, all the media is atwitter with how getting more than 6.5 hours of shut eye has been linked to higher cognitive decline. (And all this time we've been told that 8 hrs is the optimal amount!) Not getting enough down time has been definitively associated with all sorts of ailments from poor judgement to an increased risk for diabetes, hypertension, and obesity. But 7 hours seems to really be the sweet spot. It's a goal. I'm lucky if I make it to 6 whole hours a night...

I'm pleased to read about a study to dispel the myth that cardio before weight training is counterproductive. Actually, cardio before weights can help build muscles. Of course, I do cardio before weights for very different reasons: it's a good proper warm up; cardio is a priority, especially due to my glaucoma; I feel more awake and limber after cardio and less prone to injuries; if I left it to the end, I could run out of time or energy and just bail on it.

I also read an interesting article on the link between estrogen and exercise here. The "female" hormone increases activity levels and makes it easier to be motivated. I admit that I feel better applying a tiny dab of estriol cream on the inside of my wrist (a weak form of estrogen) every night: a small 2 ounce jar has lasted me for several years. 

When I say "feel better" I'm not talking about hot flashes or night sweats. I'm talking about sex, about everything is fine except there's no orgasm. Imagine no payoff whatsoever! Ugh. After a year I went to my ob/gyn who recommended a godawful cream that, when used as directed, was messy and made me feel like a water balloon ready to pop. Ugh. Ditched the Rx after telling my ob/gyn, got a recommendation from a friend for an OTC cream and never looked back.

I'm not a fan of the newer version of this product though because now it's sold in a pump bottle that pre-determines how much you use. That guarantees the manufacturer that you'll be re-ordering the product much sooner since it's hard to dispense less, or even wipe the inside of the container. (I pull apart pump dispensers just so I can use every last drop of a cream.) Luckily, I have another jar of the cream so I'm good for the next several years.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...