Tuesday, November 23, 2021

Just Keep Moving

Ah, so science can now tell us once again that exercise is good for us. Not just good for us but might actually be the key to aging well. It feels like an "Uh, Duh" moment but at least now there might be reasonable explanation behind this belief. A long healthy life isn't one that's confined to a sedentary lifestyle. It's difficult though, when your docs tell you all the things you shouldn't be doing. Of course, a lot of the cures have been proven to be faulty. A prime example is the belief that running will wear out your knees. Studies now show that the weight-bearing movement actually nourishes the knee joint. Mind blown!

I'm walking that fine line between doing too much (and re-aggravating old injuries) and not pushing hard enough to benefit. Yes, walking is great but it's not conditioning. It's barely aerobic, unless you're walking so fast you can barely speak and risk getting shin splints. Thirty minutes walking the treadmill is better than 30 minutes sitting, but it's not what I'd call doing cardio. There are a lot of people walking the treadmill today. Probably getting in anticipation of the big feast day to come. I'm concerned that I've put on weight even before the actual event, so it's not looking good.

Cardio feels good today even though I'm sore. I position my hands close to my body during push-ups and try to ignore the left elbow's clicking while remembering to keep my head up. The entire effort makes my right side unhappy: right ear plugs up and shoulder twinges. Tomorrow I'll go back to the wide angle arms. No issue with Seated Cable Rows but the right elbow starts to complain so I cut back a few reps during Rip Skulls. It's really cold today so while I might not be happy at the dog park, the puppers will be joyously frisky because they're closer to sled dogs and wolves than most domesticated breeds.

23 Nov 2021
Frosty Tuesday

Precor elliptical
Program 3
Time: 30 min + 5 min cd (5654)
Distance: 2.86
Cal: 319
HR: 80, 142-188

Crunches 60
Piriformis/Hip/Pencil Stretch
Elbow Plank 60s
Quick Child’s Pose
Cat Pose x 10
Fire Hydrants 25 x 2
Bird Dogs 60s x 2
Child’s Pose
Push-Ups 25
Air Squats 25
Mild Mat stretch w 3 Eye Yoga

Seated Cable Rows
50 lbs x 15 reps
70 x 15, 15, 15

Rip Skulls
30 lbs x 15, 12, 12

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...