Thursday, November 18, 2021

Cautiously Sore

I skipped yesterday's workout with the thought of catching up on my sleep but that didn't happen. The lure of fresh coffee was too great and then I was awake. Exhausted but awake. Can't sleep like that. My whole left side was out of kilter as well, with an odd sensation in my neck that also felt like a tightness in my collarbone, a knot under my left shoulder blade and a twinge in the hip. A visit to the chiropractor helped a little. I'm concerned this is all because I started lifting weights again.

Today, in spite of even less sleep, I drive to the gym. There's a fog warning and the headlamps of oncoming traffic is blinding. I'm annoyed more with the drivers who don't put their lights on so they're all but invisible on the road. Ugh. Maybe that's by design as the sheriff's department is guilty of that as well, but I think it's laziness and ignorance.

My middle back is slightly sore. My left hip still twinges every now and then. The labral tear in my right shoulder seems better today: tossing a ball for one of the puppers at the Bark Park can aggravate it a lot. But at least I don't feel the knot under my shoulder today. Doing Intervals might not've been the smartest or easiest cardio for today, but it's done. I'm lucky I get the mileage I do, since normally I get more. But I'm tired and so the "rest" intervals see me pedaling between 110-130 SPMs, and "active" means anything over 150. Towards the end of the session, I'm able to sprint pedal to 200 for a few seconds for each active interval. And I'm still tired when I reach up to the bar for pull-ups.

As much as my chiropractor and others like the Cat/Camel stretch for back and sciatic issues, I find that since starting this stretch, my middle back always feels sore. Not so much the rounded back (Cat) but in the deep arch (Camel). The rounded back though still makes the inside of my left foot ache. I don't think that's supposed to happen. Air Squats don't bother my knees as long as I'm careful to adjust my footing and make sure to stand up fully at the end of each rep. My left arm is skewed far from my body during push-ups: it's the only way that elbow and wrist don't click and hurt, so not ideal positioning but at least I'm able to do them. Yes, the best exercises are the ones you can do on a consistent basis without injuring yourself!

I exit the Aerobics Room through a side door that opens directly into the DB Area where most of the benches are vacant. More importantly, the adjustable inclined bench is vacant. I have to look up the last time I did this exercise set and copy it into today's log so I can replicate it. Because I'm so tired I don't remember. It's good to write things down and keep a record, just to make sure you know what you've already done and what you should be doing. I'm vaguely sore and it's because I'm pushing and pulling some weights again. Unfortunately, I also feel the slight discomfort of sciatica in my right glute. I'm at a crossroads: do I continue on this course or do I pull back? Ugh.

18 Nov 2021
Foggy Thursday

Precor elliptical
Program Intervals
Time: 30 min + 5 min cd (5162)
Distance: 2.82
Cal: 311
HR: n/a

HGPU 12

Crunches 60
Piriformis/Hip/Pencil Stretch
60 Dead Bugs
Elbow Plank 60s
Quick Child’s Pose
Cat/Camel stretch 10x
Fire Hydrants 25 x 2
Bird Dogs 60s x 2
Child’s Pose
Push-Ups 25
Air Squats 25

Mild Mat stretch w 3 Eye Yoga

DB Lateral Raises s/s Rev Incl Flys
 10 lbs x 15/20 reps x 1
 15 lbs x 15/20 reps x 3

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...