Monday, November 8, 2021

Rare and Maybe Bad

There may be some truth in ancient wisdom that states different blood types leave you more or less susceptible to different ailments. I read an article over the weekend that suggests those with the AB type (one of the least populous type at 4% of the general population, with AB- accounting for less than 1%) have a greater likelihood of developing esophageal and stomach cancers, blood clots (due to a stickiness factor associated with type A), a higher risk of dementia and memory problems (increased levels of a protein called "factor VII"), but at least we're also less likely to have a bleeding disorder (that'd be type O). 

But most importantly for the current pandemic, type As have a greater risk of developing Covid, again, due to a stickiness factor that increases viral susceptibility. One of my old GPs used to complain that I had sticky blood when he tried to draw a sample. The Red Cross wasn't too thrilled with me either since it took three times as long for me to fill a pint bag. To the point where I was told not to bother donating anymore. I always assumed that was due to my tiny veins or "poor circulation."

I first discovered I was type AB back in HS bio lab when we got to prick our own fingers and place the blood on a glass grid where we used different reagents. Under a microscope, we were able to watch whether the blood clumped or not in reaction. Later, the Red Cross donation center confirmed my blood type. ABs are born from one type A parent and one type B. I know my dad was a B. Two ABs might produce the gamut of As, Bs, and ABs. It bothers me that I don't know what my son's blood type is because that's a special request and not a standard test, which I think is crazy. It doesn't help that my husband can't remember whether he's type A or O, nor does he care, and he's not about to donate blood because he doesn't like the fact that people are generating fees and revenue for something he's asked to give away for free. You can probably guess his feelings about recycling and global warming too.

The end of Daylight Savings means that the sun is already peeking over the horizon by the time I get my son in the car and it's fully morning when I park at the gym. I manage to beat Lazy Pedals to the good elliptical today. He drapes himself over the other one. I squeeze out 15 pull-ups before heading into the Aerobics Room for stretching and core exercises. At the last minute, I add a few hammer-grip curls with the 10 pounders already in hand. It doesn't feel like anything. The only thing that concerns me is some elbow tenderness from the super light Rip Skulls last week. I can't go heavy anymore but I seem to also be prone to RSI (repetitive stress injury) because of my shallow joints and tendons. Ugh. It's hard to find the sweet spot when the spot keeps moving.

8 Nov 2021
Morning Monday

Precor elliptical
Program 3
Time: 30 min + 5 min cd (5518)
Distance: 2.82
Cal: 312
HR: 150-186, 84, 89

HGPU 15

Crunches 60 x 2
Piriformis/Hip/Pencil Stretch
60 Dead Bugs
Elbow Plank 60s
Quick Child’s Pose
Cat/Camel stretch 12x
Fire Hydrants 25 x 2
Bird Dogs 60s x 2
Child’s Pose
Push-Ups 25
Air Squats 25

Mild Mat stretch w 3 Eye Yoga

DB Lateral Raises
  10 lbs x 15 reps x 3
DB alt hammer curls
  10 lbs x 12

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...