Thursday, November 4, 2021

Lazy Is As Lazy Does

It's dark and frosty cold when the alarm goes off this morning. A wee voice in the back of my brain begs me to stay in bed but I ignore it because my son needs to be on his school bus by 6:35. I get the car warmed up enough to defrost the windshield without having to scrape it. I park near the grocery instead of outside the gym just to remind me to pick up the garlic powder I forgot to buy yesterday.

A woman I forgot about is on the elliptical I favor. She's constantly on her cell so I'm glad that Lazy Pedals is on the other elliptical. I can't hear her on the step climber and I spend 20 minutes there. Granted, walking up the stairs for 20 minutes doesn't even tally a thousand steps, but it is over 55 floors. Not sure how that compares to 5500+ steps pedaling. I warm up but not enough for me to remove my hoodie. Later, I see that same woman at the Lat Pull-down machine and she has her head cocked to the side with her cell wedged between her shoulder and cheek. It gives me a cramp just thinking of it.

I do an abbreviated core and stretch in the Aerobics Room. Push-ups and Air Squats are relatively easy today. I'm already bored doing 15 reps at the lighter weight so today I do a mild progression at Seated Cable Rows. Unfortunately, early morning means the chatty bros that Lazy Pedals hangs with are draped all over the free weights. Literally. Normally I'd plant myself on a breaker bench for Rip Skulls because I can put my feet on the support bench behind the bar holder. But it's too crowded there. 

I drop my gear on a regular flat bench in the DB area and retrieve a solid state bar. The bars are in 10 lb progressions but I can't locate any of the magnetic disc weights. Lazy Pedals is curling the 30 but standing right in front of the rack. (Blocking the rack is another pet peeve of mine.) The 20 is misplaced on the other side, with the heavier bars (60-90). But I'm okay with using the 20 today because it's been several months since I last did this movement. I doubt if I'll be sore tomorrow, but who knows? 

When I return the bar to its rightful position, Lazy Pedals is leaning on the rack with an arm draped over the other bars. I think I rolled my eyes. (Yep, he's the one who leans all over the elliptical console, hence my nickname for him. If he could lean on the treadmill while it was in motion, I'm sure he'd do it.)

And more good news: apparently one's metabolism doesn't crash and burn until you hit your 60s. Does that explain the 3 pounds I put on over Halloween weekend? Maybe. But eating out and snacking on candy is the more likely explanation.

4 Nov 2021
Frosty Thursday

Matrix StepMill
20 min
Speed 5 (45-48)
HR 180?
Cal 138
Steps 919
Floors 57

Crunches 60
Piriformis/Hip/Pencil Stretch
Elbow Plank 60s
Quick Child’s Pose
Cat/Camel x 12
Fire Hydrants 25 x 2
Bird Dogs 60s x 2
Child’s Pose
Push-Ups 25
Air Squats 25

Mild Mat stretch w 3 Eye Yoga

Seated Cable Rows
50 lbs x 15 reps
60 x 15
70 x 15

RipSkulls
20 lbs x 15 reps x 3

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...