Thursday, October 28, 2021

About That Rash

The dermatologist thinks the fading rash on my arm is due to phytophotodermatitis, or a reaction from an irritant like citrus juice interacting with sunlight. It's common on the hands of susceptible pool-side bartenders in tropical climes, and yes, I saw it mentioned more than once in crime-drama shows based in Florida (The Glades, CSI: Miami). The rash shape seems indicative of a splash or dribble rather than direct contact with a noxious element. It's still a mystery as to how this all came to be though.

It's 42F and darkest night when I drive my son to the school bus stop. I almost slept in. Well, I tried but that just makes me late for everything else I need to do. Because I took time to push a few weights after cardio and stretching, I got to the dog park a bit late. Pups only got an hour of playtime, which is okay but not great. Tomorrow I'm probably going to the gym after the dog park instead of before so that we can go at 9 instead of 10 AM.

I was certain that, due to my slow start, I wouldn't make 2.8 miles or 300 calories. Those numbers are my benchmarks for a decent workout. The abbreviated core routine still allows me to stretch my hips and spine. Push-ups are the ultimate warmup for Inclined Presses at the Smith machine. Only 3 sets but the last set is heavy enough to have me worry about my IOPs because of the slight pressure in my chest as I press up and gently let the bar down. 

The Seated Cable Rows are already set at 50 lbs when I drop my gear on the seat. Today I move the pin to 60 lbs because those three sets of 15 reps were too damn easy last week. Today they're a bit more challenging. Just a bit. Depending on how sore I feel tomorrow, I might do this again next week, or change it up some more. I'm sure I can do a set at 70 without any issues. 85 makes me nervous for obvious reasons: what if that pesky lower back disc reacts badly and I'm laid up with severe sciatica again? Winter is coming and that's no time to be crippled. 

28 Oct 2021
Frigid Thursday

Precor elliptical
Program 3
Time: 30 min + 5 min cd (5552)
Distance: 2.83
Cal: 314
HR: 192-140, 86, 76, 96

Crunches 60
Piriformis/Hip/Pencil Stretch
Elbow Plank 60s
Quick Child’s Pose
Cat/Camel x 12
Fire Hydrants 25 x 2
Bird Dogs 60s x 2
Child’s Pose
Push-Ups 25
Air Squats 25

Mild Mat stretch w 3 Eye Yoga

Smith inclined press
Bar (30) x 20
+20 x 15
+30 x 15
+40 x 12

Seated Cable Rows
60 lbs x 15 reps x 3

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...