Thursday, October 7, 2021

Unexpected

I freely admit that I am not a morning person. So it's quite shocking even to myself when I arrive at the gym before 7 am. I got on the elliptical and pedaled as fast as I could, in spite of slightly sore and stiff quads. Must've been those deep knee bends. I feel an odd strain on the right side of the back of my waist. It's not a twinge so it doesn't appear to be sciatica-related. Still, I make a mental note to be cautious.

There's heavy fog warnings this morning and I don't understand drivers who don't put their headlamps on in such conditions. The past several days have been overcast and generally dreary. That's not helping my fatigue. I skip the second set of crunches and dead bugs because there's such a thing as overdoing abs although that's admittedly difficult to do. 

I make the mistake of doing Air Squats before attempting Push-Ups. I say this because doing 25 reps  of the latter normally isn't that hard, but doing 25 Air Squats actually does leave me a tad winded. I have to position myself a few feet further from the mirror wall in order to see myself. (Too close and all I see is the molding at the bottom of the mirrors.) I turn my head sideways to watch my form, pulling my neck back to be more in alignment with my spine. When I look up and forward at the wall in front of me, I feel my center of gravity shift forward. 

Whoa, that's unexpected! Worse, it makes the push-up a lot harder suddenly. Assuming that we all have pretty much the same size heads, my head accounts for a greater portion of my total weight/mass, so shifting its position was bound to have an effect. I just wasn't prepared for it! As I adjust my head and neck position, the reps get harder. Today, doing 25 felt a lot like doing 50. Ugh.


7 Oct 2021
Morning Fog Thursday

Precor elliptical
Program 3
Time: 30 min + 5 min cd (5490)
Distance: 2.81
Cal: 311
HR: 146-195, 114

Crunches 60
Piriformis/Hip/Pencil Stretch
60 Dead Bugs
Elbow Plank 60s
Quick Child’s Pose
Cat/Camel stretch 15x
Fire Hydrants 25 x 2
Bird Dogs 60s x 2
Child’s Pose
Cobra Pose
Air Squats 25
Push-Ups 25 > pitch center of gravity forward / increased difficulty

Mild Mat stretch w 3 Eye Yoga

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...