Friday, July 28, 2017

When Details Matter

Yesterday I read a brief promotion for beets as a super food, and then remembered that my hubs occasionally drinks a glass of SuperBeets. The dose is a small scoop (1 tsp) mixed with 6-8 oz water. This morning I decide to see if it makes me feel any different. My hubs says he won't drink it late in the day because he's worried he won't be able to sleep at night. I'm still using my meal tracker and I'm getting a little better at actually approaching some of my goals. Still, it's nearly impossible for me to hit 40% protein unless I'm eating a lot of chicken and not much else as I'm trying to keep fats down to 25% and carbs at 35%. Eggs, apparently, have too much fat in them! Ugh. I'll still eat them! Red meat has too much fat in it. Chicken thighs have more fat than breasts, but they're so much cheaper, and tastier. Maybe I should flip the carb and fat ratios? But I'm trying to lose fat and nothing else, so for now I stick as closely as I can to this ratio. I only drink half my coffee this morning and put the rest in the fridge to sip later.

The only thing I notice is that I'm a lot hungrier this morning, but that's probably because I didn't eat all my calories. I had 408 left from the allotted 1570 by the time I went to bed. After warming up, I knock out my 14 rounds at the Nexersys kickboxing machine. It's still broken. It's humid, and even though the a/c is on full blast, I'm drenched with sweat. I only do 26 reps for pull ups too even though I know I can do more. I like not having my elbows hurt. I'm starving and want to eat my hand by the time I get back to the locker room. Ugh.

Well, the headphones I borrowed from my husband worked out well. It only gets a bit of static when I'm bending a certain way, and I'm not sure if sweat is entering through the charging port, or if I'm somehow depressing the iPod button while it's in my pocket. Apparently Apple isn't make iPods anymore, because everyone uses their phone for tunes. Every except me. Because my hand-me-down iPhone 6+ is too damn big to wear. But I cart it around with me just to track my workouts, and take selfies. Of course. The iPod is just for music. And that's the way I like it. Uh huh.


It's only been a few days since I started tracking my food, but I already feel a little leaner. Weird, right? I've sucked down 95% of my 1.5 liter bottle, and I'm not happy that the gym scale tells me 110.4 lbs. A full pound heavier today? Super weird. I need a few items from the grocery. Especially paper towels and toilet paper. Because my son and husband treat it as if it grows on trees (a favorite saying of my grandmother). My son often retorts that trees are made of paper, just the way my hubs tells me that all those critters outside are made of meat. Hhmmm.

I've circled a few sale items on the flyer, and after I check out, I scan the receipt. More than once I've had something not ring true. Today I see that the paper towels, advertised in the flyer for $4.49, have cost me $6.99. I take my cart and receipt to Customer Service where the helpful teen behind the counter double and triple checks the flyer, then gives me back $7.58 in cash. "You've given me too much money," I tell him, expecting only to be reimbursed for the difference between the sale flyer and the charged price. "Oh no, if it rings up incorrectly, you get the item for free." Whoa! Didn't I already know that somewhere? Regardless, it makes me feel much better.
Bugs love me

I get home and unload fresh peaches, apricots and sockeye salmon. Then, before I mix up a protein shake with fresh strawberries and fat-free, lactose-free milk, I get on my home scale. My hair is 95% dry by now. The scale tells me I weigh 109.4 lbs and my body fat has dropped back to 15.6%. Last Saturday I weighed in at 110 lbs and 16.4% BF. At least things are moving in the right direction... except bugs still love me. (I've given up trying to eat 3 raw cloves of garlic a day because it upsets my stomach too much.) As soon as I step out with the dog, I get bit. Of course. Maybe I'll try eating 1 clove of garlic a day... but I need to put it on a slice of bread. Any excuse for a slice of ciabatta...

Friday

10 min elliptical
Calories 93
Miles 0.83

T, Y & I Raises
3lbs x 15
5lbs x 15

Nexersys Follow Me
7r Beginner
7r Intermediate

HGPU 26

2 comments:

  1. Good luck with the mosquitos...I suffer too. Do you have a Bug Zapper for the yard? That actually works, if you turn it on before you need to go out there. Give it like 30 min, and use the attractant too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks but Zappers seem too indiscriminate. Usually I wear boots, long pants and a hoodie with the sleeves pulled over my hands. Lol!

      Delete

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...