Monday, July 24, 2017

Making Lemonade

Between the middle-age people driving while looking at their phones (and swerving back to their side of the road just in the nick of time), and drivers willfully ignorant of the NYS Wiper law (that states if your windshield wipers are on, your lights should be on), I've had it with stupid people. And it's not inexperienced kids, it's middle-age people who should know better but seem to believe that the law applies to everyone else. Because they're special. Grrrrr....

I only got 5 hours sleep and that's my own fault not resisting a sudden urge to play the original Bejeweled on my old iPad2. That game is far superior to the newer versions. But I couldn't got to sleep until I had cleared a level, and that took me three or four turns. It's all pattern recognition and a tiny bit of lightning-fast strategizing. I like it so much better than my son's FPS games.

It's pouring and cooler today at 65°F, so I know my son is going to have a miserable day at camp. Tomorrow I plan to take him to see Baby Driver for the special effects, sound track and Kevin Spacey. We have some interest in Dunkirk, but since it just opened, that show might be crowded, whereas Baby Driver has been out for weeks and less likely to have a full theater.


The treadmills quickly fill up with people who usually go for a run in the morning if the weather's nice. I'm happy enough on the cross-trainer. But I'm tired. And I add on the 5 minute cool down. I'm not sure why, but those extra 5 minutes, pedaling at half speed, seems to give me more mileage than is warranted. I do my usual routine of HGPUs, knee-ins, push ups, crunches, and planks. I'm half hoping that the Smith will be occupied, but by the time I'm done "warming up", it's free. I do some Flat benching, dropping reps with each set. I wish I could say that 120 lbs was easy. It wasn't. I'm too nervous about my shoulder to even try 130 lbs for even just 5 reps. But the last two sets of super high reps were actually fairly easy. It might just all be in my head?

I even do a few sets of Smith Inclined Presses. They feel easy too. I don't go past 70 lbs even though it's possible I could get reps at 80. Instead, I do my standard DB laterals superset with reverse inclined flyes. I really hate people who insist on doing their shrugs or whatever, standing inches from the DB rack. I'm muttering under my breath a lot today. And since I'm plugged in, I have no actual idea as to how loud I'm grumbling.

The finishing exercise are Rip Skulls and I'm ready. It's just that the 40 lb BB is missing. Some skinny guy is using the BB to wedge his toes under while he does sit ups. Seriously? He does a few other moves before more sit ups. I'm getting vexed. I get a pair of magnetic discs totaling 5 lbs from the front desk and grab the 30 lb BB. Just as I set up for a set, skinny dude puts the 40 lb BB back on the rack. I do a set at 35 lbs. Then I swap the 30 lb BB for the 40 lb one. And because I have the discs, I do 45 lbs on the next set. Skinny Dude grabs the 20 lb BB and does some BB curls in the mirror. But mostly he pulls at the elastic bands, doing weird shoulder movements. When he reracks the bar, he's oblivious enough to drop the 20 lb BB in the 30 lb slot. And all I can do is mutter "Moron" under my breath because I'm OCD enough to want the BBs in the correct slots.

Well, at least I made myself do a set of Rip Skulls with 45 lbs. The left elbow and right shoulder complained a little at the end, but mostly it was okay. Then I got on the elliptical for 30 minutes. Plus a 5 minute cool down. I never feel like doing the last set of HGPUs, but I talk myself into doing them. I figure I'm going to skip the gym tomorrow so might as well do them today.

The gym scale is not my friend today and tells me I'm 111.6 lbs, sopping wet. I've decided to revisit the phone app MyFitnessPal
to track my calories, and my macros. Because obviously, what
I'm doing lately isn't working for me. I want to drop 3-4 lbs of fat, putting me somewhere between 108-7 lbs, and dropping body fat from 16 to mid-14 percent. It's not an unreasonable goal. My hubs and I both agree that it's best to ignore the exercise section that allows you to add calories back into your diet. It's deceptive and makes you believe that you have much more leeway than your really do. I had no idea this app belonged to Under Armour until just now! My hubs loves UnderArmour stuff. I'm okay with their shorts, but most of their women's wear is geared for stick-arm girls, so it's not a good match for me.

Monday
7.07 total miles

30 min x-trainer + 5cd
Calories 142, 160
Miles 3.71, 4.14
Average Heart Rate 131

HGPU 26
Knee-Ins 50
Push Ups 50
Crunches 3 x 50
Bird Dogs 2 x 60s
Side Planks 2 x 60s

Smith Flat Bench
Bar x 15
80 x 13
100 x 10
120 x 8
90 x 25
80 x 25

Smith Inclined Bench
Bar x 12
50 x 12
70 x 12

DB Laterals s/s Rev Incl Flyes
20/25lbs x 12/15reps x 3 sets

Rip Skulls
35lbs x 13
40lbs x 12
45lbs x 12

30 min elliptical + 5cd
Program 1
Calories 330
Miles 2.93
Average Heart Rate 139

HGPU 26

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...