Friday, July 14, 2017

Bastille Day

My son was not at all thrilled to be going to camp this morning as it was raining, and yesterday's experience totally soured him for today. For some reason, the new camp management hasn't quite figured out how to entertain campers when the sun isn't out, and there's a huge glitch in the activities. As in there was no swim time because some child pooped in the pool. Good grief! My son has been coming to this summer camp for 7 years now, and this is the first time that all activity came to a grinding halt because of fecal contamination. This camp has 4 separate outdoor pools but they are all enclosed in the same area. Shit happens literally and figuratively. (The swim school regularly has problems with children vomiting or pooping, but they seem to have a standard procedure that ensures an efficient clean up and sanitization.)

Today I get an early morning email stating that campers will be bussed (in shifts) to an indoor sporting facility for a few hours. It appears that the girls will enjoy significantly more time there (9:30 to 1 pm) than the boys (1:15 to 3:30 pm). Even accounting for an hours worth of lunch, the girls get more time. I send a quick email back asking why and a few hours later, a call with no caller ID rings my cell. I don't answer anonymous calls so it goes to voicemail. It's the new owner who wants to explain the rainy weather protocol. I don't want to cut into my gym time so I don't return his call. He can't possibly explain why my son spent most of his time yesterday sitting around with nothing to do. If anything, it makes it easier to make this the last year my son attends this camp.

After 10 minutes warming up on the elliptical, I do a few High and Medium Band Pulls and some quick stretches. I saw the one old guy who boxes the machine at it for a few rounds yesterday. Today I'm the only one at the machines. I do 7 rounds Beginner which eventually gets me really warmed up. The machine again isn't registering any jabs or crosses, and occasionally misses a lead sweep. But since I'm not keeping score, it doesn't really matter. After 7 rounds Intermediate, I'm done. And like last week, there is one body blow that I strike that causes the machine to stop and issue the screen warning "You Are Punching Too Hard." Seriously?

I'm drenched as I stalk off to the Mats so I can peel off my gloves, wraps and tape. I knock out my pull ups and then head back to the Mat to finish stretching. Shoulders and back are especially sensitive and a good stretch routine goes a long way to reducing soreness. Tomorrow is my photo show reception and I need to pick up a few items. It's probably my last photo show, and I find that makes me sad enough to forgo photographing interesting things. Yesterday I saw my first monarch butterfly of the season. It was on one of the few milkweeds that survived the town mower. I could've stopped my car, put my flashers on and whipped out my phone to snap a picture. But part of me said, Why bother? Well, I hope a few people show up tomorrow...

Friday

10 min elliptical
Calories 96
Miles 0.85

Mid Band Pulls 15
High Band Pulls 15

Nexersys Follow Me
7r Beginner
7r Intermediate

HGPU 31

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...