Monday, July 17, 2017

Indulgent Weight

I spent most of yesterday bingeing on streaming movies and eating poorly. The same is true of Saturday, although I did have a nice showing of friends at my photo reception. I still hope to make a sale or two of some of my prints. Fingers crossed.

Today I didn't really have much of a game plan, except to avoid Bench Pressing because the right shoulder just isn't right. The left elbow isn't good either. I do 30 minutes on the cross-trainer by the door and realize that none of these machines have working TV units. That's fine with me because I don't like the glare of the screen, and I find programming to be distracting. I'd rather pedal along to music anyway. I only do one set of pull ups today. The left elbow is surprisingly tender, and I can't think of anything I've done over the past few days to aggrieve it so.

I can't get on the sit up board for Knee-Ins, so I skip right to push ups and core stuff. My right shoulder complains after push ups. That doesn't usually happen. Crunches and planks feel normal. I do another set of push ups, and the shoulder feels okay. Weird. There's Big Guy on the Smith. He's a regular. Middle-aged but massively built, quiet but consistent. I've seen Flirty Girl chat with him. But no one is on the ellipticals! Opportunity to use the one I want! There are only 4 and one has a massive glitch in the flywheel. One moves perfectly. The other two have other defects that make them noisier and the pedaling a bit rough.

It's difficult for me to skip pull ups once I'm at the Stretch Cage again, but I don't want to wreck my elbow. Instead, I pull out the green silicone band I got from physical therapy, and do two sets of Band Pulls. Then I find a flat bench, drape my hoodie over it and do the T, Y & I DB Raises with tiny chrome beauty bells. Right then and there I decide that today's a Shoulder Workout and grab a pair of 15 lb DBs to do Shoulder Presses. My right shoulder twinges just a little. I use the same pair to do Front Delt Raises. A blonde girl next to me grabs a large DB and does a weird goblet squat movement. It's not quite what I imagined a goblet squat to look like. Maybe because she bends over as if she was rowing the DB between her legs, but she's also partially squatting? I'm not judging. Really.

The Mayor is barely audible except when a few older men join him. Then it's the Dumb and Deaf Club. Mind you, I have Billy Idol blasting on my iPod the whole time. I decide no super sets today. Just regular 12-rep, 3-set routine stuff. But I up the weights each time I move on to the next exercise. DB laterals seem okay except the front right shoulder twinges every now and then. Instead of Reverse Inclined Flyes, I decide to do Bent Overs. The best place for a short person like me is at the old OHP station. It's basically a cage with a platform in back, and a slot to attach a seat in front. The seat contains a forward foot bar. Except that someone has removed the seat, and haphazardly placed it near the frame. But it's not locked into the OHP structure, which makes it a bit iffy to sit on.

I can drag it into position, but I don't have the leverage to pull the knob out and push the bar into the slot simultaneously. Ugh. Just as I'm about to balance myself precariously on the seat, Big Guy (who is on the Smith adjacent to me) motions that he can fix that. Cool! Another gesture and I thank him with an okay sign as he gives me the thumbs up. Now that's gym etiquette!

It's also my last weight exercise for today. I drop onto the Mat to stretch out my back and shoulders, and then head into the locker room to shower. The gym scale elicits a silent gasp of horror from me at 112.4 lbs. Good grief. That's quite enough sitting around and gnoshing on junk for this month! Tomorrow my son has a movie date with a friend. We all plan to see the latest Planet of the Apes movie, although I'd still like to see Baby Driver... maybe I'll be motivated enough to sneak out in the morning and do some cardio beforehand?



Monday
6.65 total miles

30 min x-trainer + 5 cool down
Calories 171
Miles 4.07
Average Heart Rate 148

HGPU 26 (left elbow!)
Push Ups 50 (right shoulder)
Crunches 3 x 50
Bird Dogs 2 x 60s
Side Planks 2 x 60s
Push Ups 50 (shoulder okay)

30 min elliptical
Program 1
Calories 293
Miles 2.58
Average Heart Rate 148

Mid Band Pulls 15
High Band Pulls 15

T, Y & I Raises
3lbs x 15
5lbs x 15

DB Shoulder Press (light)
15lbs x 12reps x 3

Front Delt Raises
15lbs x 15reps x 3

DB Laterals
20lbs x 12reps x 3

DB Bent Overs
25lbs x 12reps x 3

2 comments:

  1. Inside elbow or outside? I sympathize with you on shoulder pains. Mine are less than thrilled with bench or pushups, but OHP is totally fine. Strange... We haven't been lifting since DH had hand surgery, but we are planning on an easy bike ride tomorrow morning before the heat gets brutal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Inside elbow, aka golfer's elbow. Sometimes I think it's just because I'm on the other side of 50. :-/ Have fun on that bike ride, and take it easy. Heat is a killer!

    ReplyDelete

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...