Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Sleepless

I volunteered to drive my hubs to the train station this morning because he had a meeting at 9 am in NYC, and no one wants to drive there. Not only is traffic ridiculous, but the cost of parking is prohibitive. We could probably buy dinner for 4 just to park for 4 hours in Manhattan. Of course, that meant getting out the door at 5:30 am. I like to have a time cushion just for things like my hubs realizing he's forgotten his cell just as we're a half mile out the door. I know it only takes 11 minutes to get to the nearest station, so I give myself 20 minutes just in case. He gets there with plenty of time to purchase a ticket from the machine (on board purchases cost more).

I get home and hop back into bed. But I can't sleep even though I have a headache from going to bed at midnight, and getting up at 5:15. I read the newspaper and sip leftover coffee. I make myself comfy and doze a little, but I never actually fall back to sleep. The coffee probably didn't help either. After walking and feeding the dog, I'm off to the gym. My son is sleeping in today and that's fine with me. He should enjoy this luxury while he can.

All the cross-trainers are occupied so I hop on the elliptical. Halfway through the 30 minute session, I'm too warm and the hoodie zipper is annoying me, chafing my upper thighs. Ugh. I'm tired. So tired that I actually allow myself to pedal during the 5-minute cool down that's built into all the programs. Normally, I skip the cool downs. Pull ups don't feel too bad. Too many guys on the sit up board (don't even ask) so no knee-ins. I knock out a set of push ups, crunches, planks and then a final set of push ups. I hadn't planned on doing any weights today, but then I see that the Smith is open. Hmmmm...

There are regulars, like The Mayor, Maroon, and Big Guy but I don't pay them much mind. When I'm tired, it's all I can do just to focus on my work out. I haven't benched in a while so I take it slow. Everything feels okay until I reach 120 lbs. Then my chest and neck feel tight, and I worry about my shoulder enough to cap it at 8 reps. Instead, I add two high-rep sets at a lower weight. No inclined benching either. But the DB area is crowded, and some clueless guy is doing one-arm DB curls off the adjustable inclined bench. Ugh. He should just sit at the preacher curl station, but he's staring intently at his bicep in the mirror wall behind the DB rack. I drag the other adjustable bench over and squeeze in next to a guy on a flat bench. He's nice enough to shove his stuff over to make room once clueless dude leaves.

Last on my list are Rip Skulls. I'm always worried that 40 lbs is going to be more than I can handle, but it never is. When will I finally trust myself? Too worried about complacency, I guess. By noon, all the cross-trainers are empty so I clamber aboard the one I favor. 30 minutes, plus the cool down. Again. Because I can't seem to generate any mileage today. I skip a last set of pull ups. I even skip mat stretches. My hubs texts me that he'll be at the station by 3:03 so I have just enough time to shower, change and head home for a few minutes. My son is finally awake and has finished his summer reading assignment. So glad that's over and done with! He's old enough to feed himself but I have to prod him to make some toaster waffles smeared with peanut butter. Kids!

I get to the station with 10 minutes to spare. At 3:00 my hubs texts me that the train hit something and damaged its connection to the power rail. So he's stuck until the replacement train shows up. Ugh. I don't want to go all the way back home, so I go to Kmart instead. Just as I'm about to select a laundry basket for my son (who requested one), my hubs texts that he's just a few towns away. Kmart is notorious for having long lines at checkout, mostly because they have fired all their regular staff and replaced them with teenagers. I leave the basket and head back to the station. I feel like I've been driving back and forth on the same road all damn day. Probably because I have. After I retrieve my hubs, we drive back to Kmart. Because we also need a new shower curtain...

Wednesday
6.75 total miles

30 min elliptical + 5 cool down
Program 2
Calories 341
Miles 3.01
Average Heart Rate 145

HGPU 31
Push Ups 50
Crunches 3 x 50
Bird Dogs 2 x60s
Side Planks 2 x 60s
Push Ups 50

Smith Flat Bench
Bar (30lbs) x 15
80 x 13
100 x 13
120 x 8
90 x 25
80 x 25

DB Laterals s/s Rev Incl Raises
20/25lbs x 12/15reps x 3 sets

Rip Skulls
40lbs x 12reps x 3 sets

30 min x-trainer + 5 cd
Calories 149
Miles 3.74
Average Heart Rate 128

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I hate days like that! I went out for a bike ride yesterday in the heat. It helped with a bad mood I was in at the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A bike ride in the heat helped cure your bad mood? (I'd fall over from heat stroke!) :-0

    ReplyDelete

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...