Thursday, July 13, 2017

All The Time In the World

I had a few errands to run this morning so I didn't get to the gym until 10 am. I'm disappointed that Kmart doesn't have a better selection of digital clocks. Since we've unplugged from cable programming and now only subscribe to internet service, we've lost the combination DVR-set top-clock and I don't always have my phone handy to see what time it is. So I had to buy a clock. We already have two (Sony) that automatically reset to the proper time when the power blips. I was hoping to get a third, but alas, the most inexpensive auto-time clock (GPX brand) available still needed to be manually set. For some reason it was over an hour behind actual time. I suppose I could've ordered one from Amazon, but I'm impatient and want a clock in the living room today. Sigh.

The cross-trainer that I favor is free, so instead of setting it for 15 minutes, I go the full 30. So much for cutting back on cardio to concentrate on weights. The Smith is busy though. I stretch at the Cage, do some pull ups and then knee-ins at the sit-up board. Okay, the Smith looks empty except there are 5 lb plates on the bar. But Flirty Girl is in the DB area. I drop my gear inside the Smith and go over to the bench she's hopping up on, and stepping down from. She's breathless and sweaty and apologizes for not re-racking her weights. Yes, she's done, but that fellow over there wanted to use the Smith. She motions to The Mayor who is several yards away on the Leg Press. Him? "I don't even talk to him," she says to me and I counter with "Yeah, that guy who spends all day talking?" "You'd better hurry up and go over there," she encourages me to take possession of the Smith. And I have no problem doing that. I'm glad I'm not the only woman who isn't particularly fond of The Mayor.

The Mayor spends waaay too much time chatting between sets, and it's worse when he's super setting. Because some people will chat and chat, and still claim they're on two or three different stations. No, I don't feel bad glomming the Smith at all. I knock out my RDLs with only a minute's rest between sets. Then a few RG BB Rows because it's been a really long time. I skip cable rows because it's not really a Pull Day. More of a "Do Whatever I Feel Like Day." I don't bench because I know it's going to aggravate my shoulder injury. I do make sure to do the T, Y and I baby bell raises before DB Lateral Raises. I keep my elbows bent in an L-shape to take the stress off those joints. Not pretty, but I work the muscles I need, and minimize joint damage. Because I did BB Rows and RDLs earlier today, I feel the Reverse Inclined Flyes much more and I'm pleasantly surprised.

I finish with Rip Skulls even though eventually my left inside elbow and right front shoulder start to complain. Three sets is enough work. I'm tired, but not really. In that, my arms are tired, but the rest of me can go on. So 30 minutes on the elliptical is fine. I tend to run towards the things that I really suck at, and yesterday I really sucked at cardio. I feel the need for improvement so today I'm back to basics: two 30 minute sessions. Then the challenge of wide hammer grip pull ups... the left elbow is really not happy with me by the last rep. Oh well...

I feel really good. Better than usual. Probably because those endorphins finally kicked in. I've been so stressed lately that I find myself laying in bed at night, my chest constricted and gasping for breath, as if I'm Frodo wrapped in spider silk. I think I'll sleep better tonight. I don't even care that the gym scale reads 111.0 lbs since I've sucked down all my water, and I'm drenched with sweat. I feel great.

While I'm in the shower, someone leaves their gym bag and gear on the bench in the locker room. There's no one else in the showers so either she's in the sauna, or out in the gym area. Weird. But it's not just a gym bag, it's also a big fat lifting belt, and a bottle of BCAAs. All in black. When I leave, I see the woman with tats running down her arm, chatting at the front desk with a young man. I'm not sure if they're suppose to be both the same age. She looks older but maybe that's just sun damage? That gear could be hers. She looks like she works out, but maybe not as much as she'd like. Admittedly, it took me at least two to three years before I developed arms. But some people never quite look the way they aspire, even with all the heavy equipment.

Thursday
6.44 total miles

30 miles min x-trainer
Calories 142
Miles 3.82
Average Heart Rate 154

HGPU 26
Knee-Ins 50

Smith RDLs
Bar x 15
80 x 12
100 x 12
120 x 12
140 x 12
150 x 12

Smith RG BB Rows
80lbs x 25reps
100 x 25
120 x 25

T, Y & I Raises
3lbs x 15
5lbs x 15

DB Laterals s/s Rev Incl Flyes
20/25lbs x 12/15reps x 3sets

Rip Skulls
40lbs x 12reps x 3sets

30 min elliptical
Program 3
Miles 2.62
Calories 299
Average Heart Rate 143

WHGPU 21

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...