Thursday, July 6, 2017

Sleep is Overrated

I stayed up until well past 1 am just to finish the Billy Idol autobiography Dancing With Myself. Since I have several of his CDs, I wanted to know the back story behind the songs and the music. I love the music because mostly it's dance music, which means it's also great for working out. Since he's only 5 years older than I am, I can related to his stories about the emergence of punk music and how it evolved. I hung out in HS listening to an eclectic mix of folk, rock and punk. I had friends who turned me on to the Ramones, Patti Smith, Lou Reed and the Velvet Underground, Bowie, Zappa, Blondie, The Clash, U2... the list goes on. I still have their vinyls in my garage, although as I recall, they're pretty scratched up from constant play. So, I'm not just reminiscing. I'm finally understanding some of what I experienced as a teen.

Of course, all this means is that I'm godawful tired when the alarm goes off this morning and I have to get the dog walked and fed, and my son up and dressed and sunscreened and fed, and packed off to camp, and myself off to the gym... I already did my cardio/bodyweight day yesterday, so my choices are to do a "big lifts" day, or just part of it... as in maybe just a Push Day. Or a Pull Day. My shoulder's been cranky because I tend to twist myself around to reach something, and that puts a lot of stress on the joint. Still, I'd like to whack the machine tomorrow. So I start out intending to do just two big movements, flat bench and RDLs, but wind up doing more...

While I'm at the Smith, totally and blissfully plugged in to my tunes, there's suddenly a lot of background noise and I realize that The Mayor has arrived and can't help but to announce himself. Other than impending hearing loss, I'm not sure why people feel the need to scream their "inside voice". Creepy Frankenstein sits at one of the machines twenty yards away and stares in my direction. Ugh. I time my sets so that I'm not in the DB area when he is. Because he is just too freaking creepy. And if I start to feel more belligerent, I might actually yell at him for staring like a creep. It's a good thing I don't take any sort of pre-workout other than coffee. Yes, it's a good thing I don't work at a gym, especially this one, even though I know they're hiring. Nope, "never piss where you sleep" is how I remember the saying goes.

The Smith needs servicing. Or at least a good cleaning. I'm sure there's dust and gunk in the tracts, and the bar is hard to roll back. Which makes it a bit dangerous. But since Gym Owner is down one qualified and motivated trainer (he left last December), he's stuck with a bunch of lady trainers, and some kids who mostly don't know what they're doing.

After DBs and Rip Skulls, I'm game for 20 minutes on the elliptical. That always leaves me hot and sweaty. Always a good time to stretch the legs and hips. Since I've started doing a few side bends, my lower back doesn't bother me when I do RDLs anymore. Weird, but everything's interconnected.

Late at night, I tend to binge watch and since most of the shows I like are done for the season, I've discovered new ones to stream. There's only a season and a half left before I'm done with Justified, a show I'd read was highly acclaimed. The fact that Elmore Leonard (Get Shorty) was a consultant and one of the producers gives me hope that the series doesn't unintentionally spiral into cliche silliness. It's based on one of his stories, Fire in the Hole. But of course, he died in 2013, and the series concludes a year later. I think it's those country drawls that have me so fascinated. The characters can be saying the meanest things, but there's a charm with how they speak it.

I have also started watching The Good Wife, but only when there are streams available, which is also the problem with trying to start Parks & Recreation from the first season. The Good Wife is a lot like those Dick Wolf cop shows though. I might be done with it sooner than later. Oh well, I have a ton of unread books on my nightstand...

Thursday
3.58 miles 35 min total

15 min x-trainer
Calories 70
Miles 1.85

HGPU 26

T, Y & I Raises
3lbs x 15
5lbs x 15

Smith Bench
Bar sticky on rotation back to stay
Bar (30lbs) x 15
80 x 13
100 x 12
120 x 12
90 x 25
80 x 25

Smith RDLs
Bar x 12
80 x 12
100 x 12
120 x 12
140 x 12
150 x 8 reps x 3

DB Laterals s/s Rev Incl Flyers
20/25lbs x 12/15reps x 3 sets

Rip Skulls
40lbs x 12reps x 3

20 min elliptical
Program 2
Calories 196
Miles 1.73
Average Heart Rate 140

HGPU 31

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...