Friday, July 21, 2017

Friday Workout

It's going to be hot and humid this weekend so I'm not sure what to plan. Maybe I'll drag my son to the gym and we'll race each other on the Expresso bikes. Of course, he'll win. Because I can barely reach the handle bars! My hubs found out yesterday that he had a meeting at LaGuardia airport this afternoon, and then he had to be in Dallas for the weekend. Dallas is a new project. As is LaGuardia. He's happy to be busy because having downtime means you're expendable. Boston is kicking in soon, and there's the Houston project. And one at JFK. So he'll be traveling quite a bit. But I still need to find some paying work.

My gym and my vet's office have advertised for help in the local PennySaver and online. The only thing worse than being rejected for a job, is being rejected by a company you're a client of. Not that I've applied. Because it would be so totally awkward to get turned down. (I'd never work at my gym anyway! But I could see me at my vet's office.) Part of me is torn between applying for local part time positions that would allow me to continue to take my son to all his after school activities, once they start up in September. And part of me just wants to work from home. Because that is the ultimate in flexibility. But I'm a bit lost on how exactly to do this. I've never had any career guidance and mostly fall into jobs and situations. Odd, right? But I'll figure this out. Eventually.

Meanwhile, I drop my son off at camp and head to the gym. I barely remembered to pack my gloves and wind up snipping my moleskin patches into reasonable pieces in the car. I can't resist using the good cross-trainer for warm up. There are a lot of new folks in the gym today. And a few regulars. The kickboxing machines are still broken. But not any worse than they've been. There are grumpy old men in the machines. Creepy Frankenstein stares from across the room. Yuck. I adjust my stance so that I can't see him. A lot of other regulars are MIA. Gone for the summer, or a changed work schedule. I don't miss them.

Damn I feel big
Even though I have moleskin squares, white tape and cloth wraps to keep my hands padded and snug inside the leather gloves, I still worry about skinning one of my knuckles as I jab and dig. I've learned to kick flat footed to preserve my toes. And I pull all my upper blows because the machine isn't registering them anyway.

The right shoulder seems tight, especially on the Cross. Afterwards, my whole upper back is a tad tight. Anyone can make the Follow Me program into a full body workout just by bending the knees a bit and adding a small jump/lunge forward for most of the blows. There's enough twisting for Hooks and Digs to make this fairly aerobic. Most people are ridiculously static when standing in front of the Nexersys, and their workout becomes just a series of punches. Which is fine for some really old guys, I guess. The one muscle that doesn't get any work is the bicep. Which is why I like to follow up with pull ups. Once I get the gloves, wraps, tape and moleskin off.

I've sucked down nearly the entire water bottle and my hair and clothes are drenched. Still, I'm disappointed when the scale reads 111.4 lbs. Putting on 3 lbs was stupidly easy, but getting them off is proving to be quite challenging. I'm really going to have to pay more attention to diet now. Oh well.

Friday

10 min x-trainer + 3 cd
Miles 1.44
Calories 56

T, Y & I Raises
3lbs x 15
5lbs x 15

Nexersys Follow Me
7r Beginner
7r Intermediate

HGPU 26 (left elbow is twingey)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...