Monday, September 17, 2012

Sick is No Reason to Slack

After an entire weekend of running around but not at the gym, I wake up to an unexpected plethora of celadon nastiness in my lungs. If it's possible, I think it's spreading back upwards into my sinuses because of the vague burning sensation there which whispers busted micro capillaries. Bleah. Yeah, there's a wee bit of blood in the phlegm. (I can tell from the brownish green color.) Well, I have my annual physical exam in two days so I'll mention it to the doc then. Meanwhile, I'm off to the gym with my son in tow.

I know I should abbreviate my work out so I only spend 35 min on the elliptical and I make it an easy pace (only 180-200 strides per min vs my normal 195-220), and only manage to get 3.69 miles. I'm coughing up snot and barely sweating so I know this isn't going to be a great workout. But damnit, I'm still working out.
 B is struggling to bench at the Smith, and I offer to spot her if I can work in. It's suppose to be a heavy day for me, but I'm not going to do the max today. Instead I opt for 3 full sets at 135 lbs, and I don't actually need B to spot me. B bemoans her loss of strength but then again, she hasn't been benching lately so what does she expect. It's also her birthday. She turned 60. She looks good for 60. She looks good for 45. I tell her she just needs some consistency.

I finish by squeezing out 25 reps at 95 lbs and move on to Cage Stretch and kicks. Then back to the free weight area for delts. 20s feel, as always, heavy. But I do them anyway. Even sick, I'm still fairly strong. Tricep extensions, twisting sit ups and lower ab kick outs, followed by Mat Stretch. I'm feeling okay. My nose isn't running, and other than occasionally clearing my throat, I don't really feel sick either.

Today's Total Workout:
35 min cardio hill #6 = 3.69 miles
Smith Bench Press: 12 @ 95 / 12 @ 115 / 3 x 12 @ 135 lbs / 12 @ 115 / 25 @ 95 lbs
Cage stretch & kicks
Front & Lateral Dumbbell Raises: 12 @ 15 / 3 x 12 @ 20 lbs
Lateral Dumbbell Raises: 3 x 12 @ 20 lbs
Rear Seated Inclined Dumbbell Raises: 5 x 15 @ 20 lbs
One-Arm Tricep Dumbbell Extension: 3 x 12 @ 20 lbs
Twisting Sit Ups: about 120
Lower Ab Kickouts: about 100
Mat stretch

The scale reads 109.0 and my face seems puffy. It's the pulled pork I simmered in stewed tomatoes and garlic, and poured over mac 'n cheese we had for dinner, and the really salty pastrami sandwich and beef jerky we ate at the Renaissance Fair yesterday. Eating a cheeseburger with pickles on Saturday at Quassy Amusement Park didn't help either. But what's done is done, and my son had a great time. I'm relieved that weekends only come once a week. Hopefully, this cold has peaked and I'll be back to my daily 5+ mile cardio workouts. I feel better just thinking about it.

2 comments:

  1. It may not be a cold (although "cold" is a hopelessly vague term). It may be bronchitis. Or pneumonia. Antibiotics may be in order. A time-out may be in order as well. This smells of overtraining. If you can't bear not going to the gym, try lightening it up (a lot). Walk on a flat treadmill. Do a whole body workout of 1 to 2 exercises a body part, 1 to 2 sets of 10-12 reps. At most.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks but I think this is becoming sinusitis. And a chest cold. It doesn't feel like pneumonia (I had that in college) or bronchitis. If I could get a great ab workout from coughing, I"d make it part of my routine. Kidding! But seriously, thanks for the concern. I'm seeing my doc on Thursday and she'll probably prescribe the infamous Z-pack. That's what I got in April, which is last time I got sick.

    ReplyDelete

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...