Monday, September 24, 2012

A Disturbance in the Force

This morning, I rolled over to hit the snooze, and stayed asleep on my right side for another 10 minutes. When I awoke, I had a new sensation: inner ear imbalance. I felt tilted to the right, but figured it'd clear itself up after I cleared out my lungs and nasal passages. Walking my son to the bus stop didn't fix it but it wasn't getting worse. I felt well enough to drive, so off to the gym I went. Again I figured I just needed to raise my body temperature a little and everything'd be back to normal.

I got on clunky #4 elliptical and pulled my hoodie over my face. 35 minutes later, only swallowing snot a few times, I got a decent 3.81 miles. I barely bust a sweat at the 25 minute mark. Next week, when I'm better, I'll go back to 5+ miles. The gym is really empty today and I'm not sure why. Because I still feel off-balance, I decide to bench reps again. Reps are easy. Perhaps too easy. I knock out 4 sets of 25 reps at 95 lbs and wonder if I'm severely underestimating myself today. Off to the Cage. I feel a little stiff because I didn't get warm enough during cardio. I really need those 45 minute sessions. Kicks and stretches don't really get my heart rate up either.

I see B and offer to spot her if she's benching, which she will be later. Delts are next. I love doing the 20 lb dumbbells because I can see my deltoids and pectorals flex in the mirror. That looks so awesome! B remarks that 20s are awfully heavy and I tell her, "Yeah. I like having shoulders. I wanna keep them." She makes a remark about not getting too big. About maybe looking like a guy. She's just jealous. What I don't tell her is that I've always been jealous of guys because of their arms. (And abs.) I think I look good. B tells me I look great.

Today's Total Workout:
35 min cardio = 3.81 miles
Smith Bench: 12 x 45 / 4 x 25 @ 95 lbs
Cage stretch & kicks
Front & Lateral Dumbbell Raises: 3 x 12 @ 20 lbs
Lateral Dumbbell Raises: 3 x 12 @ 20 lbs
Seated Rear Inclined Dumbbell Raises: 6 x 15 @ 20 lbs
One-Arm Tricep Dumbbell Extensions: 3 x 12 @ 20 lbs
Flat Bench Twisting Sit Ups: about 150
Lower Ab Kick Outs: about 150
Decline Bench Press: 25 @ bar / 25 @ 65 / 25 @ 75 / 25 @ 85 / 25 @ 65 / 30 @ bar (45 lbs)
Mat stretch

I tell B that some bag boy at the supermarket (where my son and husband were pulling Cub Scout duty selling popcorn) seemed to be trying to pick me up as I sat on a box, hunched over my phone reading a homework assignment. Great. At age 20, I had 11 year olds asking me to the movies (while the 16 year olds hit on my 18 yr old sister). Now I have 16 year olds hovering around me in parking lots. But AARP is sending me subscription information in the mail!

I see V leave yoga class and wander off to the parking lot while I chat with B. I'm glad he hasn't noticed me. I guess he didn't lose the car after all, so that's good. B and I remark that neither of us has seen R today. It IS football season and he's probably busy. Or in too much pain to drive up here.

The scale reads 108.8 lbs and I'm feeling some odd lower abdominal twinges, reminiscent of menstrual cramps. Egads. Am I really going to get my period? My balance is still off-kilter. The twisting sit ups didn't start out well but eventually my inner ear settled and I was able to knock them out. I had the same problem with the Decline Bench press. Perhaps an antihistamine is in order... There's definitely a disturbance in the my inner ear.


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...