Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Involuntary Grinning

I wake up thinking I'm cured because I'm not coughing. No such luck. I'm just a bit dehydrated and everything's glued to my airway lining, giving the illusion of snot-free breathing. That's soon resolved as I walk my son to the bus stop. I sound like I smoke 3 packs a day. But I feel fine, when I stop coughing. Maybe I'm delusional?

It's Leg Day and I still haven't decided how much cardio I'm going to do until I'm actually on the elliptical. I punch in the standard 30 min with the 5 minute cool down just to see how I feel today. I get a respectable 3.67 miles. Not great. But I'm sweating and not panting. What the hell, I go for another 30 minutes of intervals with a 5 minute cool down. By the 25th minute into this set, I've picked up my pace and I can feel the grin spread across my face, under my dripping hoodie.

For the last 5 minutes, as the course evens out, I feel myself step up the pace and glide along between 200-210 strides per minute. It feels really good! I get 4.17 miles, for a grand total of 7.84 miles. I've only had to swallow my snot a few times during the set because it breaks my rhythm to be fumbling for tissue to spit into. If you're grossed out by this, well, you've led a sheltered life.

Today's Total Workout:
35 min cardio hill #6 = 3.67 miles + 35 min cardio #7 intervals = 4.17 Grand Total 7.84 miles
Cage stretch (no kicking with these shorts!)
Smith Squats: 12 @ bar / 5 x 12 @ 95 lbs
Smith Dead Lifts: 5 x 12 @ 95 lbs
Seated Leg Curls: 12 @ 75 / 5 x 12 @ 90 lbs
Seated Leg Extensions: 5 x 15 @ 45 lbs
Mat Stretch

The scale reads 106.8 lbs. I didn't drink all my water today but I'm soaked through and through and wonder how this affects the scale readings, but I'm not all that concerned. I feel good, except for clearing the snot out of my throat and blowing my nose. Yep, I got a doctor's appointment tomorrow and she'll probably tell me my blood pressure is too high, and I'll tell her it's because I have a sinus infection and I'm coughing a lot, which makes your heart rate go up. But I'm still coming to the gym tomorrow. It's an involuntary thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...