Tuesday, September 18, 2012

I'm Not Compulsive. Okay, Maybe Just a Little.

It's pouring cats and dogs, and frogs and newts. Still, I corral my son and we head to the gym, even though I spent a half hour spewing up phlegm. A rusty brown cloud of snot lands in a tissue. This is definitely sinusitis. I have half a mind to just stay in bed, but I've got my gym bag packed and there's no turning back. Once at the gym, I have to clear my throat, lungs and sinuses again. Man, I hope I don't cough up all over myself.

I only do 35 minutes of cardio, and because I consciously keep my breathing evenly paced, I only cough a little. My pace is surprisingly quicker than yesterday, and sweat trickles down my face, drips off my chin into my zipped up hoodie. I get 3.89 miles and I'm pretty happy.

Seated Cable Rows seem hard today and I only get 3 sets of 6-8 reps at 120 lbs. I see both B and R today. R doesn't look so good. B spends most of her workout chatting with him. I do Lower Back Extensions, Cage stretch & kicks and a dozen chin ups, then return for another 2 sets of Lower Back Extensions, and they're both still chatting. Okaaaay. Today is Back and Biceps so I've got Lat Pulldowns, Bent Over Rows, Dumbbell Curls, and those painful Reverse Grip Barbell Curls.

The gym is mostly empty today. I haven't seen V in days and I'm sooo relieved. I knock out twisting sit ups and lower ab kick outs and still feel pretty good, although the twisting motion did threaten to spasm my diaphgram. I'm half tempted to ask R how he is, but his posture suggests such pain that I'm hesitant to interrupt his workout. I know that I hate having interlopers in my routine, but I'm a lot more protective of my personal space, and time than most people. (And, I have my son in the child care room, and I can't spend 20 minutes of my exercise time just chatting!)

Today's Total Workout:
35 minutes #6 hill = 3.89 miles
Seated Cable Rows: 12 @ 90 / 12 @ 105 / 3 x 6-8 @ 120 / 12 @ 90 lbs
Lower Ab Extensions: 25 @ 90 / 25 @ 97.5 lbs
Cage stretch & kicks & 12 close grip chin ups w knees curled to chest
Lower Ab Extensions (again): 2 x 25 @ 97.5 lbs
Lat Pull Downs: 12 @ 90 / 5 x 12-10 @ 105 lbs
Bent Over Reverse Grip Barbell Rows: 5 x 15 @ 60 lbs
Dumbbell Hammer Curls: 12 @ 15 / 3 x 12 @ 20 lbs
Flat Bench Twisting Sit Ups: about 150
Lower Ab Kick Outs: about 150
Reverse Grip Barbell Curls: 3 x 20 @ 30 lbs
Mat Stretch

The scale reads 108.4 lbs. Tomorrow is Leg Day and I've always looked forward to doing the cardio because I feel so damn good afterwards. Now I have to reconsider because I can hear Snap Crackle Pop inside my head like someone's flexing their knuckles. I may have pea soup in my head by tomorrow, so I can't be sure that I'll be able to do 2 sets of cardio. But if I can, I will. No, I'm not a compulsive exerciser, but it's hard to give up that endorphin rush.

B tells me that she can't even remember what I looked like "in the before time", when I was heavier. This time last year, I weighed 118 lbs. Unfortunately, I didn't keep great records of my workouts then so I can't specify how much more I lift now. But I am stronger. And I look better. And for those who can recall classic Billy Crystal in the early days of SNL (Saturday Night Live) as Fernando, remember, "It is better to look good than to feel good. And darling, may I say, you look Mahvelous!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...