Friday, September 28, 2012

This Time I'm Really Cured

Every morning is better. I didn't actually start coughing up gack until I started the car to drive my son to the bus stop. Normally we walk down, but it was pouring and I didn't want him soaked before he got to school. This also meant that I had to have all my gear ready to go since I wasn't going to drive back up the hill again. Once the car is started, I'm on my way to the gym!

All the ellipticals are in working order, so I get on #2 which used to clunk with each glide. It ran smooth and I punched in my 45 minutes hill #6. Hoodie up and iPod plugged in, I finally got my 5.01 steamy sweaty miles. And I was happy.

This being the last day of the week, and my second Back & Bi workout, I thought I'd try to ratchet-down a notch and perhaps do some reps instead of max weight. So for Seated Cable Rows, I did sets at 105.  V walks by and I turn my back while adjusting my hoodie because I don't want him to stop and chat. After rows, I do 2 sets of Lower Back Extensions and then move on the the Cable Stretch and Kicks, finishing off with 12 close grip chin ups.

Lat Pull Downs are next. B is doing legs today and has attached herself to the cable station via ankle strap. Her fibromyalgia is bothering the stationery leg as she kicks her other leg outward. I tell her to angle her stationery leg slightly and she experiences less discomfort. I swear I'm a natural! I do 5 sets of Pull Downs at 105 lbs and I feel pretty good even though my form isn't perfect. However, I can feel my lats flare as I pull down and I know my back is bigger. I have to assume it's working for me!

Today's Total Workout:
45 min = 5.01 miles
Seated Cable Rows: 12 @ 75 / 5 x 12 @ 105 lbs
Lower Back Extensions: 25 @ 90 / 25 @ 97.5 lbs
Cage Stretch & Kicks & 12 close grip chin ups w knees to chest
Lat Pull Downs: 12 @ 90 / 5 x 12 @ 105 lbs
Bent Over Reverse Grip Barbell Rows: 5 x 15 @ 60 lbs
Alternating Dumbbell Hammer Curls: 12 @ 15 lbs
Dumbbell Hammer Curls (solo arms): 3 x 12 @ 20 lbs
Ab Crunch Station: 2 x 50 (upper) / 2 x 50 (lower)
Reverse Grip Barbell Rows: 3 x 20 @ 30 lbs
Mat stretch

I see R come in as I'm finishing up and I wander over to say Hi and see how he's doing. I'm impressed: he can chat while working out. I tell him that I'm glad to see him at the gym and how's he's feeling? He tells me that he'll never quit coming to the gym. He's pushing the entire stack for tricep press downs while he tells me about how he once showed up to work out while drunk. "Before you were married," I tell him. "Oh, she was there partying with us but she passed out. I had my brother, the designated driver, drop me off at the gym." And I thought I was a compulsive gym rat!

The scale reads 108.0 lbs but I'm feeling pretty good. It's still pouring and I've a ton of things to do, but the work out was good and I'm pretty happy. Working out is good for what ails you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...