Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Hurts So Good

Not that I'm a big John Mellencamp fan, but sometimes it's the extremes that give you the high you're looking for. I had my son in tow today and off we went to the gym this morning. F**k it, I thought to myself. I'm going to do 45 min of cardio today because damn, it felt so good yesterday. It's only when I get to the 25 min mark that the sweat is trickling down my face, droplets hanging off the tip of my nose and chin, and I have a big dopey grin under my hoodie. 45 min gives me 5.13 miles today. I'm happy as I amble off to the Seated Cable Rows, still dripping.

That good feeling carries me through most of my workout today and I'm rushing because I have errands to do afterwards. What did I skip? Abs. And I normally do them every day that I work out, but I still haven't figured out what I should be doing to work them and not make them big and bulky. Something that doesn't bother my neck, or exacerbate what I believe to be a (as yet officially undiagnosed) stress fracture of my coccyx (tail bone).

A set of Seated Cable Rows feels good enough at 90 lbs to do another set at 105, and then 3 partial sets at 120 lbs. Lower Back Extensions, Cage Stretch & Kicks and a set of Close Grip Chin Ups, Lat Pull Downs, Reverse Grip Barbell Rows, Dumbbell Curls, Reverse Grip Barbell Curls (which had me grimacing and near tears when done immediately after dumbbell curls), Mat stretch. Done!

Today's Total Workout:
45 min cardio = 5.13 miles
Seated Cable Rows: 12 @ 90 / 12 @ 105 / 3 x 8 @ 120 lbs
Lower Back Extensions: 2 x 25 @ 90 lbs
Cage stretch & kicks & 12 close grip neutral grip chin ups w knees curled to chest
Lat Pull Downs: 12 @ 90 / 4 x 12 @ 105 lbs
Reverse Grip Bent Over Barbell Rows: 5 x 12 @ 60 lbs
Dumbbell Hammer Curls: 12 @ 15 / 3 x 12 @ 20 lbs
Reverse Grip Barbell Curls: 3 x 20 @ 30 lbs
Mat stretch

My home scale this morning read 105.8 lbs so I wasn't too surprised when the gym scale registered 108.4 lbs. But I'm still happier closer to 107 lbs. My husband would scoff at the difference but when you're a small person, pound and a half is noticeable. Especially if it's water. Tomorrow's the first day of school, and it's also Leg Day. Hurray!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...