Thursday, September 6, 2012

In the Groove

Today I actually got to the gym at 9:05 am. Wow. That's the earliest I've been since school ended last June. The place wasn't quite crazy busy yet either. I got on my favorite elliptical, nestled between two very large, plodding people and got my buzz on. 45 sweaty minutes and 5.37 miles later, I'm grinning under my soaked hoodie as I make my way to the Smith for reps.

I like to do reps because I think it builds endurance, strength and B claims (as do some publications) that reps bring out your cuts. I'm not cut. I have muscles but they seem smooth, not sinewy, and I certainly can't see the striations in my horseshoes (triceps) or pecs the way I did when I was in my 20s. But I do 4 sets of 25 reps at 95 lbs and that feels pretty good. I haven't done Decline Benching in a few weeks, but I'm not missing them either. Plus, that bench seems to be very popular lately, and I'm not inclined to sit around waiting for it.

Cage stretch and kicks are okay, and I start perspiring again. My whole workout is a series of cooling down, and getting sweaty again, so that by the end of it, I'm drenched and my clothes reek. I know shoulders are a b**ch but I can't back down from the 20 lb dumbbells. I just need to pace myself, and turn up the volume on my iPod.

Sometimes all it comes down to is what you need to do to psyche yourself up. For me, it's loud pulsing music (Billy Idol's always good for abs) and room enough to bop around between sets. Sometimes I sing along (silently because I know I can't carry a tune) just to get the adrenaline up. "Walk it off" isn't something you do just for injuries (as so often spoofed) but what I do between sets to keep momentum going. Dead starts (a long meandering conversation is a good example) are so much harder to overcome.

Today's Total Workout:
45 min cardio = 5.37 miles
Smith bench press: 4 x 25 @ 95 lbs
Cage stretch & kicks
Front & lateral dumbbell raises Superset: 12 @ 15 lbs / 3 x 12 @ 20 lbs
Lateral dumbbell raises: 3 x 12 @ 20 lbs
Seated Rear Inclined dumbbell raises: 5 x 15 @ 20 lbs
One-arm dumbbell tricep extensions: 3 x 12 @ 20 lbs
Torso twist machine: 2 x 25 @ 50 lbs
Flat bench seated twisting sit ups: about 150
Lower ab kick outs: about 125 (although today I felt them primarily in my upper abs which is odd)
Mat stretch

My hair is still sweat-soaked but I'm headed to the shower. The scale reads 106.6 and I'm happy with that. I'm also starving even though I dutifully ate instant oatmeal (with apples) and a cup of coffee this morning. I've also sucked my 1.5 liter water bottle dry.

I see V chatting with another fellow when I leave. He looks up and cheerfully says, "Oh, and that's my beautiful neighbor." I cringe as I wave and high-tail it out the door. V tells everyone I'm his neighbor. Which is true. But really, I don't want every "tom, dick & harry" to know where I live. And the guy V is sitting with completely creeps me out because he reminds me of a middle-aged rehab dope-fiend. Bad enough "Mr Pajama Pants" stares dolefully from across the gym most mornings. I feel safer working out between the younger men who take great pains not to make eye-contact, are ever so polite, and actually work out like they mean it. They're my comfort zone and I appreciate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...