Monday, September 3, 2012

Laboring on Labor Day

My husband is home today so I left my son home as I headed to the gym, hoping it wouldn't be horribly crowded. I lucked out since there was hardly anyone at the cardio stations. 45 minutes got me 5.14 miles, but I wasn't as sweaty as I'd've liked. Good enough though for me to proceed to the Smith. It's a Push Day.

I still have a cold, and a nasty mucous residue that's getting "old". But I feel strong. B's not here today and I don't see anyone I can ask to spot me so I decide to bench "standard heavy", that is, 3 sets of 12 at 135 lbs. (If B were here, I'd probably see how many sets of 6-8 I could get at 145.) The last two reps of each set always feel a bit heavy, but in general, the movement feels good. I drop the weight down twice and finish up with a quick set of 15 at 95 lbs.

There are some regulars here today. And a pair of arms and shoulders I've not noticed before. She's a blonde of medium height, small hips and great arms. And a big-ass, no-neck, grey-haired dude who must be her personal trainer. She's probably the gal who's competing next month. I steal glances at her as I rest between sets, and I notice she's doing the same. Holy moly! She looks away suddenly and starts stretching, embarrassed to be caught looking. I'm not embarrassed, but I focus on my next set more intently. Regulars are used to my anti-social ways. After all, it gets me results.

I'm not sure if she's looking at me because I'm benching relatively heavy to my size, or if maybe, it's because I have nice arms and shoulders too. (Perhaps she's wondering if I'm competition? That'd be funny as I'm nowhere near big or cut enough. Short and wide isn't a winning look.) She looks older than 26 (a gal who works at the gym said the bodybuilder was 26), but then again, I look younger than 52. She's also a lot leaner than I am. Contest dieting, perhaps. That'll make you look older too, as it draws out the lines and wrinkles in your face.

Today's Total Workout:
45 min cardio = 5.14 miles
Smith bench press: 12 @ bar / 12 @ 95 / 3 x 12 @ 135 lbs / 12 @ 115 / 15 @ 95
Cage stretch & kicks
Front & lateral dumbbell raise superset: 12 @ 15 lbs / 3 x 12 @ 20 lbs
Lateral Dumbbell Raises: 3 x 12 @ 20 lbs
Seated Rear Inclined Dumbbell Raises: 5 x 15 @ 20 lbs
One-Arm Tricep Extensions: 12 @ 15 / 3 x 12 @ 20 lbs
Twisting SitUps: about 125
Lower Ab Kickouts: about 125
Tricep Pressdowns: 12 @ 30 / 3 x 12 @ 40 lbs
Mat stretch

I'm still carrying water weight. I can tell looking at my face in the mirror. The scale reads 109.4 lbs. Yuck. Well, I have the rest of the week to try and drop some of it. Tomorrow I'll have to bring my son with me, but school starts Wednesday, so I'll be back to my regular routine. I like being strong. I just don't like being big. Or rather, I don't like being puffy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...