Tuesday, April 5, 2022

Flossing Isn't Just For Teeth

It's been a few blissful weeks where my sciatica hasn't bothered me. Even that low backache is gone. I'm going to credit a routine consisting of regular non-impact cardio, a few basic core movements (planks, bird dogs, dead bugs, push-ups) and some lower body stretches (piriformis stretch, lower body rotation, knee to chest stretch). That, and finally identifying what exercises and stretches to avoid because they actually make everything worse! Some movements are okay at lighter weights but a mere 5 lb increase can tip it into an unpleasant aftermath. Like Rip Skulls. Or Seated Cable Rows (I haven't been brave enough to try those again).

Some of what I've been doing might be considered "nerve flossing" and that's a term I've never heard before looking into exercises to alleviate sciatic pain. However, there's a lot of online sites that advocate a few simple movements. Some of these exercises don't work for me. It's a matter of trial and error, and having a lot of patience and persistence.

I get my cardio warm-up done and the humidity makes up for the chill in the air. It's gonna rain soon. After doing core and stretching, I do Skull Crushers and Rip Skulls. Thirty pounds is good. Thirty-five inflames my sciatica...

5 April 2021
Frosty Tuesday Morn

Precor elliptical
Program 2
Time: 30 min + 5 min cd (5812)
Distance: 2.90
Cal: 325
Avg Hr n/a

Crunches 60
Piriformis/Hip/Pencil Stretch
60 Dead Bugs
Elbow Plank 60s
Quick Child’s Pose
Cat stretch 12x
Fire Hydrants 25 x 2
Bird Dogs 60s x 2
Child’s Pose
Push-Ups 30
Air Squats 25
Mild Mat stretch w 3 Eye Yoga

Skull Crushers / Rip Skulls
30 lbs x 12 reps each set x 6

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...