Thursday, April 21, 2022

Last Night I Learned...

While I had always heard (or read) that the sciatic nerve is the largest nerve in the human body, I had no idea as to how large. I certainly didn't think it'd be the thickness of a human thumb! Since I'm still trying to understand my own propensity towards having sciatic issues, albeit sporadically, I did another internet search for just how the sciatic nerve originates from the spinal column. But this time, instead of using Google or Firefox's frustratingly useless default search engine Yahoo (literally nothing for ads that may or may not have anything to do with what you're searching for on the first and second pages), I took my husband's advice and installed Duck Duck Go. The search results are actually intelligible now.

I never realized that several different nerve fibers emanate from the lower spine to form the sciatic nerve. I did know, from viewing anatomy diagrams, that this nerve does bifurcate and split down different pathways behind the knee, around the calf and down into the foot and toes. The fact that my sciatica changes from excruciating on the right side to excruciating on the left side says to me that I don't have anything remotely like a herniated disc. Rather, I think it's spinal instability and sensitivity. I also learned a new word: paresthesia. It explains the burning sensation I sometimes have on patches of my arm. Because it comes and goes without any treatment, it can be classified as "transient paresthesia." And it requires no intervention or treatment, unless it becomes persistent.

Filthy! You should always
wipe the mat down before use!
So far, I haven't had any major sciatic relapses, but I've been cautious by only doing the exercises I absolutely know will not aggravate these nerves. And only exercises that help: bird dogs, lower body rotation, cardio to loosen everything up, fire hydrants to help with stiff lateral movements... Today, I cut my cardio down to 25 minutes (from 35) and work up a good sweat with enough time to do core and stretches. Then a rush to the dog park so that pups will be calmer when I take them to meet a prospective dog sitter. 

The meet and greet went well, and now the pups are exhausted. I really need to take them to new places more often. Like maybe the dog wash next week. But one at a time because walking with both of them is akin to managing untrained sled dogs. I'm glad I'm stronger than I look!

21 April 2021
Abbreviated Thursday Morn

Precor elliptical #1
Program 2
Time: 20 min + 5 min cd (4114)
Distance: 2.06
Cal: 231
Avg Hr 160, 198-94

Crunches 60
Piriformis/Hip/Pencil Stretch
60 Dead Bugs
Elbow Plank 60s
Quick Child’s Pose
Cat stretch 12x
Fire Hydrants 25 x 2
Bird Dogs 60s x 2
Child’s Pose
Push-Ups 30
Air Squats 25
Mild Mat stretch w 3 Eye Yoga

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...