Wednesday, April 27, 2022

Dessert for Lunch

I get bored with my food no matter how much I like it, no matter how good for me it is. So, after reading another fluff piece promoting the health benefits of cinnamon, I consider ways to incorporate this common spice into my meals. The most obvious is to sprinkle a bit on day-old reheated coffee. Fresh coffee doesn't need any help but older coffee benefits from a dusting of ground cardamon (reminds me of my grandma's baking) or a decadent half teaspoon of Hershey's cocoa powder (turning coffee into a fancy mocha). 

Lately, I've been sprinkling it on my oatmeal and ditching the dried tart cherries for dried apples (we have a jar my husband processed in his dehydrator last fall). I also add a little ginger powder and some maple syrup because I like sweets. Today I add a few crushed walnuts. It's like eating a mushy apple pie (maybe not quite as sweet), especially if I pull out the container of raisins I have in the cupboard. It feels luxurious to eat right now.

I have my pick of ellipticals this morning. Although the sun is out, there's a lot of wind and temps don't rise past 51F so it feels chilly, even for April. The treadmills start to fill up as I pedal furiously, working up a drenching sweat. I get my pull-ups done and am thankful to cool down in the Aerobics Room. There's a chubby tattooed girl taking selfies in the corner I normally use, and I'm wondering what filters she's going to apply before posting, because I can't really think of what she'd be posting. But she's taking a lot of selfies of her duck-face pout gazing over her shoulder (I can see the flash go off on her phone a zillion times). It's not like she's really working out although I did see her briefly on the treadmill. I'm sure she posted "Getting healthy!" or something equally dull and inane... 

I talk myself into doing 10 minutes on the step machine. Haven't seen Chief today or Lazy Pedals, although there are other regulars. At home, I started watching "Homeland" with Claire Danes. So far it's pretty good. I've watched a lot of series that began and ended before I ever knew they existed, like "Saving Hope" (not to be confused with "Saving Grace") about a doc who communicates with the spirits of unconscious (sometimes comatose) and/or deceased folks in the hospital where he works. A combo of supernatural and medical/detective shows that I favor! I was really surprised at how good the props and special effects are with depicting injuries and surgical procedures. When did this happen?! I'm so used to shows where the camera purposely cuts away and you don't see anything, everything is implied because audiences are squeamish. Except that we're not. Anymore.


27 April 2021
Chilly Wednesday Morn

Precor elliptical #1
Program 3
Time: 30 min + 5 min cd (5908)
Distance: 2.94
Cal: 330
Avg Hr 151, 202-93

HGPU 22

Crunches 60
Piriformis/Hip/Pencil Stretch
60 Dead Bugs
Elbow Plank 60s
Quick Child’s Pose
Cat stretch 12x
Fire Hydrants 25 x 2
Bird Dogs 60s x 2
Child’s Pose
Push-Ups 25
Air Squats 25
Mild Mat stretch w 3 Eye Yoga
Band pull-aparts single strand 25

HGPU 22.5

Matrix StepMill (L)
Manual 10 min
Speed 6 (52-57)
Step 548
Floors 34
Calories 80
Heart Rate 148

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...