Thursday, May 31, 2018

So Much Bigger Than I Want To Be

A lot of guys ostensibly work on getting bigger. Usually stronger, but always with showy mirror muscles in mind. I've had to break my hubs of that ridiculous mindset because it's not healthy. Bigger is not better. Unfortunately, I seem to be getting bigger, and that's not at all what I want, even though I enjoy being stronger. But really, what I want is for my clothes to fit properly and right now they're too tight. Ugh.

Again, I got to the gym around noon. I spent the morning doing household stuff, ordering a new "window handle" for our storm door and trying to keep my temper with a gal at my glaucoma doc's office. This young woman spends more time defending what she does (badly) than actually providing the services required. She's given herself a fancy title but seems to mess up everything she touches because she's not actually paying attention. Ugh. I like my glaucoma doc, but her staff is making me crazy. There's one competent person in her office, a seasoned senior tech. I wish they were all like that gal. She's friendly but very professional.

See the cracked screw hole?
The "window handle" cracked right where you screw it into the screen frame so amount of screen vs storm window can't be adjusted. I went to the Anderson® website, but it wasn't listed under parts available for that model number. When I call, the rep is able to find the piece and order it for me. It's within the 5 year non-glass, non-screen warranty so it's free, except for the shipping charge. $8.99 isn't too much to be able to adjust the air flow in your storm door, but really, these things shouldn't break from occasional usage! I'm sure in the ancient days before plastic, these things were made of metal. But of course, in the ancient days, we had to physically replace our screen panels with storm glass panels. I know because I did it for years.

Someone has replaced the colossus adjustable bench with the regular one so I do Smith Inclined Presses after my warm up. I feel weak today. Maybe it's the 14 rounds I did yesterday? My hands are still really sore, so that's not helping! I adjust the high rep sets downward slightly. I am surprised when I can add reps to the DB Lateral Raises though. But the following Reverse Inclined Flyes are hampered by the fact that I'm lying on the Inclined Breaker Bench. It's not a bad angle but the height adjustment peg underneath clashes with the bottom of the movement. Rip Skulls have me a bit worried since my hands are funky. But I make it without clonking myself in the head, so Yaaay Me. Not up to the V-bar Press Down though. Besides, there are too many old guys at the Cable Station. Yuck. I'm good with just doing the Mat Stretch to loosen my shoulders. They're tight again as I cool down, and that's annoying.

The gym scale tells me 112.8 lbs and that is soooo far from the 108 lbs I took for granted a year ago. I hope it's mostly water weight from eating salty, spicy BBQ... my hubs brought home lots of ribs and sides from BT Smokehouse in Sturbridge MA as he was returning from Boston. There's enough for another meal today!

While I’m in the car, waiting for the blue light on the dashboard to go out (signifying that the engine is warm), I get a call on my cell from a number I don’t recognize. They leave a message, telling me my number popped up on a phone that was just turned in to their office. My son lost his phone on the school bus yesterday and no one could find it. My hubs had not thought to turn on the Find My Phone app, but I tried calling it this morning, hoping it would ring somewhere and someone would find it. The odd thing was that the phone was at a school we’ve never been to. I drove over and dialed my son’s number. The lady at the front office got the phone and my face was smiling up through the locked screen. We figured out that my son’s phone got lost on the bus and then the bus was used by the elementary school kids, one who found the phone but didn’t turn it in. Instead, they took it to their school and left it on a desk. Then it got turned in! And because I had called, they had someone to contact about the lost phone. My son is sooooo lucky! And will be extra careful in the future. Nothing teaches like experience!

Push Thursday

30 elliptical
Program 2
Calories 292
Miles 2.58
Average Heart Rate 149/195

HGPU 30
Push Ups 60

Smith Inclined Press
Bar (30) x 15
50 x 12
70 x 12
80 x 12
90 x 12
60 x 25
50 x 25

DB Laterals s/s Rev Incl Flyes
25lbs x 8/15, 10/15, 12/15 reps

Rip Skulls
40lbs x 12 reps x 3 sets

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...