Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Splitting the Difference

My generator kicked on at 2 am because the power blipped out for a minute. Not only did I hear the gennie, but my phone got the text alert and email. Well, it's always good to know things are working properly. I read about dirtbags stealing other people's portable gennies from their yards. At kung fu yesterday, other parents tell me that this happens a lot in Florida, and the thieves will hook up a lawn mower to simulate the sound while driving off with the much-more-valuable generator. Ugh. Sometimes I really hate people.

I was tired when I got up to get my son ready for school. Apparently he was more tired because as he stepped into the school bus, he suddenly turned around and said, "Mom, I forgot my binder!" Which of course meant that I had to go home, get dressed (because I often go to the bus stop in my jammies but no one can really tell), grab the binder and drive to school after the buses have all arrived. There's a big sign to the school entrance that forbids parents from driving in between 7 and 7:45. I know my son's first class is at 7:34 and it's Math, but I won't get to the school until 8. It doesn't help that I have to drive all the way around town because 2 out of 3 main roads are inaccessible due to this stupid natural gas pipeline. Ugh.

I run a few errands on the way home, but I'm not quite prepared to hit the gym yet. A lot of my stuff is still in the dryer and needs to be sorted before I can leave. The gym isn't crowded by the time I arrive so that makes me happy. I do my pre-whacking warm up routine without any issues. But today I've decided to do the first 7 rounds on the Left Machine, and the last 7 rounds on the Right Machine. The Left has all working sensors, but the Pads are set too high and straight, causing me to worry a lot about hurting my wrists with the Jab and Cross. It's fine for Beginner rounds though. And I'm happy enough to do the combo Follow Me and Sparring. I actually score over 300 for the first time during the second Sparring round, and I am extremely pleased.

The Right Machine still has the dead Power Dig sensor and a temperamental Power Kick/Sweep, but the Pads are positioned better for me. At first they feel awfully soft and beat-up, because they are in comparison to the Left Machine. But I get used to that really quickly and enjoy several fast, rhythmic rounds of Follow Me. I'm drenched by the time I'm done, but today I remembered to bring a towel.

After I strip off all the tape, wraps and gloves, I brace myself for Core. But first I want to try Spiderman Push Ups. Because this is new to me, I take my time. I move awkwardly, trying to get my knee close to my elbow as I descend into a push up. My feet feel big and clumsy as I try to clear them off the ground. But I do manage to do this move. Twenty times! Twenty is as many as I can go before I actually worry that I'll fall on my face. Literally. Then I do some planks and crunches and call it Done! Soooo done!

I'm probably going to regret not stretching today since I plan to do a Pull Day tomorrow. There's only a few weeks before my scheduled cataract surgery, and that means the only exercise I'll be able to do is walking on the treadmill. Ugh. My doc doesn't even want me to sit in the sauna because she worries about airborne bacteria! This all makes me somewhat depressed... Especially since there's no guarantee that it will result in the desired outcome of lower IOPs. Double Ugh. Well, at least I had a great workout today!

Whacking Wednesday
7 rounds Beginner: 4 Follow Me / 3 Sparring


10 elliptical
Calories 96
Miles 0.85
Average Heart Rate 178/205 (!)

T, Y & I Raises
3lbs x 15
5lbs x 15

Mid Band Pulls 15
High Band Pulls 15

Nexersys
7r Beginner 4FM 3Sp (left machine)
7 rounds Intermediate Follow Me

7r Intermediate FM (right machine)

Spiderman Push Ups 20
Side Planks 2 x 60s
Bird Dogs 2 x 60s
Bicycles 50
Crunches 30/20

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...