Thursday, May 17, 2018

Post Mayhem Workout

I wasn't the only one excited when my gym posted that they had power and were opening on time. Many residents are still without power and rely on places like gyms for basic comforts, like a hot shower and a place to charge a cell phone. I should've gone earlier but I wanted to go to the CVS which is in the opposite direction. I also wasn't sure if all the roads were good since a lot of homes were beset with falling trees and power lines. I get to the gym and there are a lot more elderly folks. Some have recently signed up and are now recognizing the value in having shower facilities. I'm joking. But a lot of members choose to go home to bathe. I prefer the gym because it has great water pressure in most of the shower stalls.

Having lost yesterday, I'm torn between doing a Pull Workout and Cardio. Why choose? I do a "combo day" instead, starting with 30 minutes on the cross-trainer. I would've done Intervals on the elliptical but they were all occupied and I didn't want to wait around. Then pull ups. The last 4 aren't pretty but I do get my chin up to the bar so they count! The gym is crowded and I don't want to lose my opportunity with the Smith so I skip push ups and core. My hands don't hurt as much today but the callouses sure look nasty. I'll have to be satisfied with just 8 reps for my heavy sets. I keep readjusting my stance. The first set at 170 had my right leg a tiny bit too wide, and I certainly felt it. The second set was more of a grip issue with my left hand. I make notes to myself to keep track of what the issues are. The last set is okay, but damn am I tired after that!

While I'm pulling off the smaller plates, a middle-age guy starts pulling plates off the other end of my bar. I give him a quizzical look because I'm not done, and he's not asked. He looks confused. I ask him if he wants the other plate. I leave a pair of 25s on the bar for RG BB Rows. He wanders off and I lose track of him because, truly, I'm not interested. Other regulars arrive like Big Glasses Dude, Skinny J, Big Mustache, Little R and White Hoodie. I don't miss The Mayor. Women are not quite as regular but I recognize a few ladies on the cardio platform.
The new Hoist® cable stations finally have seated row benches attached but I'm worried that the short seat is too far from the cable pulley. Because I have really short legs! I fit, but just barely. I never assume that the weights will feel the same so I start off with 30 lbs. 45 feels okay, but my right shoulder twinges slightly as I pull the handle into my side. Ugh. Okay, Pull Day accomplished... Step Mills are occupied but the Expresso bikes are vacant! Yaaay me! I hop on the newest one and tap in my selection: Dragon Island for 15 minutes.

I keep making the mistake of accidentally touching the water and losing 1000 points. But it's not the same water. I stayed away from the beaches and had no idea that there were shallow pools inland that also had to be avoided! Ugh! I also only capture one treasure box, worth 5000 points. Last time I hit two of those glistening gems! I'm fairly happy when I'm done. Still debating whether to actually log in next time to unlock other games, or not. I don't need my name on the player board!

There's some women on the Mats and I realize that I still need to do Pistol Squats. The classroom is empty except for two people who are busy chatting. I pistol squat/walk down the side of the room, then step backwards to move in reverse. I count 24 steps total. I realize that I don't have to do this movement this way, but I think you need to add balance work to a routine, especially as you age. Back at the Mat, I do Core and then a good Stretch. I'm really looking forward to a nice hot shower. Unfortunately, there are several women in the locker room who are there just to shower. Ugh.

There are four stalls, and three are occupied. The last one is the biggest because it has a seat and hand-held shower head. It also has the worst water pressure. Sigh. Well, at least I'm clean... It's blisteringly hot again when I step outside. 50F goes to 80 in a heartbeat. And the weekend forecast is for rain and drizzle. I scan the internet to see if this week's storm, that spawned 8 tornadoes in the Tri-State area, has a name. Apparently, hurricanes are the only named storms, and Hurricane Season hasn't started yet! What I do learn is that this past storm is called a min-derecho. A what?!

According to several weather websites, a derecho is a "widespread, long-lived wind storm," and different from a tornado, because it travels in a straight line. I don't know about that since we had several tornado sightings too. Well, at least we didn't get hail.

Post Mayhem Thursday

30 x-trainer
Calories 2.45
Miles 3.84

HGPU 30

Smith RDLs
Bar (30) x 15
80 x 12
120 x 12
160 x 10
170 x 8 rt knee, 8 left grip, 8

Smith RG BB Rows
80lbs x 25reps x 3 sets

Seated 1-Arm Cable Rows
Short seat!
30lbs x 12
40 x 12 rt shoulder twinge, 12

Expresso Bike
15 min 59,370 pts
Dragon Island
Calories 51
Miles 2.61
BPM 132

Pistol Squats 24
12 each leg

Elbow Plank 60s
Side Planks 2 x 60s
Bird Dogs 2 x 60s
Bicycles 50
Crunches 30/20

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...