Thursday, May 10, 2018

Testing the Waters...

"Machine City' looks different yet again. The two Nexersys machines have been relocated more centrally, which is great for screen glare, but makes me feel claustrophobic because not only are there other machines on either side, but a line of Expresso bikes face the my back just 6 feet away. That's a very narrow path to work in and have clueless people pass behind me. Ugh.

The gym has also swapped positions of the machines, so the Left Machine is now the one with all fully functional pads, but with the Cross and Jab set higher and flatter than I like. The Right Machine is now the machine with the wonky Power Dig pad and failing Lead Kick sensor. I have to adjust my hand and wrist position in order to land a proper Jab without having my wrist bend awkwardly. Because I'm shorter than the average person, I also have to arc my punches upward in order to strike properly. My left shoulder and elbow are still twingey today so I make a conscious decision not to do pull ups, and to limit myself to just 7 rounds Beginner. Luckily, nothing actually hurts while I'm whacking the machine. Yaaaay me.

However, I also decide to do the combination Follow Me and Sparring program. To test the waters, so to speak. I'm pleased that my Power Dig registers, but the sensor is almost too sensitive and I'm constantly triggering the Hitting Too Hard warning. I don't have that issue with the Lead Dig though. What's also nice is that during Sparring Rounds, I don't encounter any loss of points because I can make the entire Avatar red instead of having the Power Dig remain green. Tapping the upper left or right arm in a blocking motion seems to satisfy the program and I'm happy with my scores. My only issue is that I have to adjust my Jab and Cross to compensate for the higher and flatter pad positions. The other machine has those pads a tad lower, and just slightly tilted inward. It's barely perceptible, but it makes a big difference to me.
Today: Sparring shows 100+ points gained

I do a quick stretch afterwards and call it a workout. The Parks and Recreation Department left me a few messages asking if I was still interested in the Jeet Kune Do class. I am, but they're so disorganized that after several days of silence on their part, I gave up and tossed the flyer away. Today they call just to let me know that they don't have enough interest this summer but will definitely be offering it in the Fall. Uh, yeah, right. Maybe advertise it better? Also, still waiting to hear back from my glaucoma doc. I called them because they were suppose to call Monday. And hadn't. The gal can't get her computer system running right. She'll have to call me back. Uh, yeah. I'm really thinking about getting a new glaucoma doc now, before the surgery becomes completely binding. It's not that I doubt the need for it, I just have doubts about everything else. Ugh.
Last week's rounds

Boxing Thursday

10 xtrainer
Calories 81
Miles 1.16

T, Y & I Raises
3lbs x 15
5lbs x 15

Mid Band Pulls 15
High Band Pulls 15

Nexersys
(Left shoulder wonky)
7r Beginner 4FM 3Sp

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...