Tuesday, May 15, 2018

Less Talk, More Do

I finally got another appointment with the glaucoma doc after spending nearly an hour on the phone. While I'm not happy that any eye surgery carries enough risks that cannot guarantee better vision, at least I have a better understanding of the procedure. Apparently my left eye has a slight astigmatism, which can be corrected with a special lens. This is the eye I've decided to do first. I'm still on the fence about doing my "good eye," the right eye with the perfect vision but slightly worse (yellow-tint) cataract.

If anything, I'm leaning toward seeing how the left eye fares, and then maybe doing a full glaucoma surgery on the right eye instead of cataract replacement IF the left eye seems to have issues with scarring. I scar easily. And even though the doc says each eye is different, my pressures match most of the time, and my vision is only off slightly between the two (20/20 vs 20/15).

I'm not at all thrilled by the prospects that I can go through all this, and pay for a big chunk of it, and still have issues with my IOP, which means my glaucoma continues to advance. No one looks forward to blindness.

I get to the gym around noon. It's not crowded. My plan is to whack the machine today, Pull Day tomorrow, and Cardio on Thursday. I'm still having some issues with the angle of the Jab and Cross pad so I'm not hitting as hard as I normally do. After my 7 rounds at Beginner level, a middle-age fellow timidly comes up to ask me if this makes me tired. It's kind of a weird question. I tell him, "No, not really" because it doesn't. I'm sweaty, but I can go for a few more rounds. He asks me how often I do this and I tell him once weekly. Clearly he's impressed and says I'm a professional. "No, this is just for fun," and it is. What I should've said was, "The gym owner can show you how to use this machine if you like." Because he whacks it at least once weekly. I decide to do a few rounds at the Intermediate level. But only 3 rounds because I find this machine vexing. Maybe next week I'll switch to the other machine for the Intermediate rounds, even though it still has a dead Power Dig sensor and is losing some of the Kick sensitivities.

I see a young woman at the Stretch Cage reach up and grab the roof bars so I half-expect her to do a pull up. But she doesn't and I'm disappointed. I have to squelch the desire to do pull ups now. Because I did them yesterday and I'm trying not to aggravate my elbows. It's blisteringly hot and sunny and the weather app says we're under a severe weather and tornado watch. What?! The sun disappears, clouds blow in and the sky looks threatening. In the locker room I snap a few photos, and see my father staring back at me. He always looked very stern because he thought smiling meant no one would take you seriously. I always remember him saying, "Less talk, more do" when he wanted us to actually do something. Makes me think of Yoda...

Whacking Tuesday

10 elliptical
Calories 97.2
Miles 0.85

T, Y & I Raises
3lbs x 15
5lbs x 15

Mid Band Pulls 15
High Band Pulls 15

Nexersys
7r Beginner 4FM 3Sp
3r Intermediate FM

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...