Friday, May 11, 2018

Push Muscles

I've been alternating between eating Greek-style yogurt and cottage cheese for breakfast. The yogurt has more protein, but doesn't seem to hold me as long as cottage cheese. I'm not thrilled with the high sodium content, but have you ever eaten non-salt cottage cheese? School paste is what comes to mind, both in texture and taste. Both contain casein, which is a longer lasting protein than whey. And although I love the way whole milk organic yogurt tastes and feels on the tongue, that makes me gassy and ultimately hungry in a very short time. I ate cottage cheese today, but apparently blew right through my breakfast because by the time it was time to shower, I wanted to eat my hand. Ugh. I guess it must've been a good workout!

Today was Cardio Day. Intervals on the elliptical, followed by pull ups, push ups, core, Step Mill, and then the Expresso Bike. I got to play the Dragon game again, this time for 15 minutes. Before my Mat Stretch cool-down, I walked down the side of the gym doing Pistol Squats. I got to 12 and the water fountain but decided not to step backwards, although I could've. Maybe next time.

Meanwhile, there's lots of equipment on the sidewalk outside the gym today, roped off with yellow Hazard Tape. New equipment being assembled by a bevy of guys. One of the trainers tells me that it's a "universal" workout station with a lot of different exercises. I laugh to myself because I remember the old Universal gym stations from HS and college. And this new piece of equipment doesn't look anything like that. It's space-age shiny black curved metal with red vinyl. But since it's not assembled yet, it's hard to determine exactly what it really looks like. I guess I'll find out Monday.

In the locker room, I snap a few photos. What surprises me is the shape of my triceps because today is not a Push Day. And the only thing I've done that involved triceps were push ups, and only 60 and quite a long time ago... I have big arms. But really, what I have are big triceps, much in the way I have big quads. Glutes and hammies not so much. I guess I'm lucky I have biceps at all! It must be a genetic predisposition. Because while I'd like bigger delts, I don't think they're in the cards, no matter how heavy or hard I push them. Just like I'll never have big forearms. However, I have pushed my calves to point where I had trouble getting into winter boots. There's no need for that. I don't work calves anymore. I always thought that people either had genetics for big muscles or not, but now I see that it gets even more specific than that. People have genetics for sometimes all big muscles, or maybe just a few select ones. Weird, right?

I woke up this morning with one of the new songs in my Workout Mix ringing in my head: Stone Sour Song #3. I confess that if I catch a good song in a commercial, I'll hunt it down so I can really examine it for gym-worthiness. There were a few during the Winter Olympics. Yeah, I'm just getting around to downloading them into my Mix in May... So what's new? Besides the aforementioned song, there's The Killers All These Things That I've Done, Oh The Larceny Can't Stop Me Now, The Offspring You're Gonna Go Far, Kid and inexplicably, Phil Collins In The Air Tonight. I also perused Sabatan and downloaded a song I found entertaining, Night Witches. And when I say download, I mean I purchased the individual song and downloaded the MP3.


Cardio Friday

30 elliptical
Intervals
Calories 297
Miles 2.62
Average Heart Rate 146/188

HGPU 30
Push Ups 60
Elbow Plank 60s
Side Planks 2 x 60s
Bird Dogs 2 x 60s
Bicycles 50
Crunches 30/20

15min Step Mill
Level 6
Calories 118
Steps 803
Floors 50

Expresso Bike
Dragons Island
15 min - 85,940 pts
Calories 50
Miles 2.55

Pistol Squats 12
6 each leg

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...