Tuesday, August 29, 2017

One More Week

School starts next Tuesday. We are not prepared. Yes, we have all the required supplies off the list, but there's been no word regarding important things. Like transportation. Normally we're told what bus will be coming to our road, and at what time. There's no information. Nothing about locker assignments either. And no way to access the school lunch program to check on fund balances. Ugh. It wasn't like this last year, but last year we had a great school principal. Who quit at the end of the school year to take a better paying job a few towns over. Not only more money, as if taxes weren't high enough, but he's been promised a career track no one would refuse: put in 5 years and become Superintendent of that system. Ugh. We have a new principal now, but everything's in disarray. The orchestra teacher quit as well. And one of the Assistant Vice Principals. WTF?!

I pick my son up unexpectedly early from a sleep over. He's so tired that he crashes as soon as his head hits his pillow. I drive to the school to pick up a supply, and to try and glean some information. Then off to the gym. The temperature's weirdly chilly for August. When it's 58°F, I put on flannel to walk the dog! And a fleece hoodie!

I get on one of the other cross-trainers and pedal for 30 minutes plus the 5 minute cool down. I just barely make 4 miles, but that's enough to make me happy. Gym Owner tells me he only received one replacement part from the Nexersys company, and still awaiting other parts. Hmmm... the fixed machine has a crisper screen today. Maybe someone made some adjustments? I might check it out again on Friday. Tomorrow I have a glaucoma visual field test in the morning, and my son has a dental check up in the afternoon. Then we have to pick up a friend of his for a play date at our house because the kid's mom is helping his sister move into her college. It's still unclear as to whether we have to drive him home, or if one of his folks will come pick him up...

I do a set of pull ups. My left elbow twinges on the inside. Ugh. I do a set of push ups. My head swims for the first 5 reps. I'm getting used to this. Ugh. There doesn't appear to be anyone on the Smith, but there's a pair of big plates on the bar. A guy I've seen sporadically is doing overhead presses at the adjacent station. I look around and then point to the Smith. He says he was using it, but I can use it instead. I realize later that I have no manners whatsoever because instead of saying Thanks, I just nod with a sort of Uh Huh. Like I'm a meathead. Ugh.

My lower back occasionally complains, but mostly I'm tired. Not really weak. I get my reps as long as I go slow. If I rush, I lose my concentration, and my form. Not good. After Smith RDLs, I do my three quick sets of RG BB Rows. The guy has moved on to DB presses in the DB area. And then he's gone. Oh well. I would've given the Smith back to him once I was done. The Mayor shows up and starts chatting with a woman I've seen occasionally. Lately he's been very blatant in chatting up young women. Today, the lady is older, maybe late 30s or early 40s, and has her own training routine. She's seriously fit. But I don't think she can do a pull up. 

I move on to the Seated Cable Rows. First the weak arm, the left arm. Then the right arm, the stronger arm. The difference in my grip strength becomes apparent as I add weight to the stack. At least I know when I'm about to fail, so the weight doesn't come slamming down. I hate that! My forearms are toast so I don't dare try to do any pull ups. Instead, I drop onto the Mat and do most of my stretch routine. Afterwards I feel sufficiently recovered to get a set in. And not fall on my face. Yaaay me!

Tuesday

30 xtrainer + 5cd
Calories 171
Miles 4.07
Average Heart Rate 140

HGPU 26
Push Ups 50

Smith RDLs
Bar x 12
80 x 12
100 x 12
120 x 12
140 x 12
150 x 12

Smith RG BB Rows
80 x 25
100 x 25
120 x 25

Seated 1Arm Cable Rows
30lbs x 12 reps ea
45 x 12
52.5 x 10, 2 left grip, 12 right
57.5 x 8 left, 12 right
60 x 5 left, 9 right

HGPU 26

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...