Tuesday, August 1, 2017

Day Off: Never Trust the Reviewers

We've learned never to trust movie reviewers although we do give some heed to Rotten Tomato scores. Today, my son and I went to see Atomic Blonde. And it was extremely enjoyable. Lots of insanely choreographed fights and car chases. There is graphic sex, and blood and complicated situations. But it's all extremely well done. And the hook? Besides the extremely beautiful Charlize Theron (who not only has producer credits, but also trained hard to be able to do many of these fight scenes herself)? The music. The movie is set during the fall of the Berlin Wall. We're talking 80s. So imagine how excited I got when the movie opens with David Bowie singing Cat People.



And continues with Peter Schilling's Major Tom...



The NYTimes reviewer said the movie was incoherent. I didn't have that much trouble following the storyline. My son was amused too. Because this is the 2nd movie this year to feature a lot of 80s music in it. He wants to know why. I suspect it's because people my age (50s) are the ones going to see the movies. There were a lot of elderly couples in the theater, although it wasn't that crowded. And a mother-daughter pair. But I suspect they were there to see Charlize. From her Mad Max Fury Road days... which, by the way, I hated. If you can get past the girl-on-girl sex scene (spoiler alert or warning, depending on your sensibilities), then you might enjoy this movie. She's in awesome shape!


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...