Friday, August 18, 2017

Raining Outside Means Crowded Inside

Weird weather, what with the upcoming storms and all. But it promises to be sunny and hot on Sunday into Monday, which is all that matters since I plan to take my son to the InterTribal Pow Wow on Sunday, and that's all outdoors. And of course, Monday is the great Eclipse of 2017. We'll only be able to view a partial (72%) eclipse from our location, but that's still worth a Boy Scout patch.

Today it's warm and rainy. There's not much air movement so this is downright unpleasant, and very conducive to mold. There's a shocking amount of people in the gym. Fridays are usually quiet, but not today. I do my 10 minutes on a cross-trainer to get warm, then run through the shoulder routine with baby DBs, and then the green stretchy silicone band. The other kickboxing machine still has a broken Cross arm that hangs down, but at least the screen is on, which means the machine is on. I still opt to use the machine on the Left, the one that doesn't allow me to Log On, or use the Advance Level. Because I can actually see the screen on this machine. Taller people don't have this issue though.

It seems odd that the Right machine is on, with the broken Cross arm. I don't think anything has been fixed. Still, I'm happy that the machine I'm using still has a working sensor in its Cross arm. Again, the only sensor that's broken on this unit, is the Jab arm. So it doesn't register Jabs, Lead Hooks, or Lead Elbows. Oh well...

I do 7 Beginner level rounds, and then my hubs texts me. More people have been let go at his company. One was someone he was relying on for production work. Ugh. I'm just as stressed about the layoffs as he is. Today is also my husband's 50th birthday, but he can't take any time off. When he takes vacation, there is no one to cover his work, so he has twice as much work when he returns. Well, at least he got to "relax" out at Boy Scout Camp last week. I'm taking him out to a fancy local steakhouse tonight. And making my son wear a button-down shirt (under protest).

I'm well into my 3rd round at the Intermediate level and I'm breathing hard when I get a very disturbing sensation in the middle of my chest. Not quite like I'd had the wind knocked out of me, because I could breathe just fine. But pressure on my chest, like when I swallow too quickly and my esophagus spasms. I'm prone to hiccups and other annoying but benign muscle freakouts. This is something totally new: the sensation of a lump in the chest. It's disturbing enough for me to actually check my pulse, and wonder if something crazy is going on with my heart and that flaky mitral valve. I'm not dizzy or suffering from any other weird symptoms. I proceed with the rest of my rounds cautiously, wondering if I'm over-reacting. I don't want to be part of the statistic about people who ignore their symptoms and wind up dead at home!

I don't feel weak. And I'm already sweaty. It takes a good 20 minutes before the "lump" in my chest has dissipated. I feel okay mostly, so there's no reason not to proceed with the rest of my routine. I knock out a bunch of pull ups. This time I make it to 28 before my left forearm and elbow complain. Then I do most of a Mat Stretch. Stretching prevents soreness! I can honestly say that I'm not usually sore the next day from any of my workouts. Maybe I should try harder?

I did step on my scale at home this morning before coming to the gym. At least the numbers are creeping in the right direction, even if this seems to be the most painfully slow trek ever. But I'm not going to complain at 108.4 lbs and 15.4% BF. Not at my goal weight and body fat level yet. Of course, the closer you get, the harder it is to reach. That's just life.

Friday

10 min x-trainer
Calories
Miles 1.19

T, Y & I Raises
3lbs x 15
5lbs x 15

Mid Band Pulls 15
High Band Pulls 15

Nexersys Follow Me
7r Beginner
7r Intermediate

HGPU 28

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...