Tuesday, August 22, 2017

It's The Busiest Time of the Year

I'd like to say my vertigo is gone, but it's not. But it's a lot better. Still, I need to actually get my butt out of bed earlier than 9 am, because I need the mornings to get things done. By the time the dog is dealt with, and I've got myself together, it's nearly 11. Since my son and I are meeting friends at the movies later to see The Hitman's Bodyguard, I really need to rush.

I skipped the gym yesterday because there was just no time to work out, and go shopping for snacks to bring to the park for our informal Solar Eclipse picnic. Boys enjoyed themselves — I sent an email advising their parents to load them with water pistols and swim clothes. This way they could cool themselves off while running through the park. Every now and then we'd don our solar safe glasses and peak at the sun. It looked like a glowing orange fingernail. The light got weirdly gray. Temps dropped noticeably from 85 to 70F. Birds and insects got quiet. Is this what it's like on a planet further away from the sun?

The day before, my son and I went to the 17th Annual Daniel Ninham Pow Wow and met up with friends. We walked around, looked at shops, saw the Bird of Prey show and a lot of colorfully dressed folks dancing in the blistering sun. We ate Fry Bread and Corn Cakes. They weren't as good as last year, maybe because it was the end of the day. The day before that, we went to a Scout in my son's Troop's Eagle Scout Court of Honor. Then we went to the Scout Shop to buy Scouting stuff... it's been a super busy long weekend. And school is only a few weeks away now. Schedules came out this morning so we parents are all scrambling to see what classes our sons share. See who we can rely on for backup in case of missed homework or projects.

Luckily, my favorite cross-trainer is free so I'm able to pedal happily for 35 minutes. My right foot is still going numb during the last 5 minutes, but I've gotten used to that. The attachment point for my Achilles tendon, at the top of my heels, is sometimes sore but only when I'm pedaling. It usually goes away after the first 10-15 minutes. I do a set of pull ups, and the only thing that bothers me today is my inner left elbow. Ugh. Golfer's Elbow. Aka medial epicondylitis. Best treatment for it? Rest, ice, stretching and physical therapy. Ugh. If I restricted myself to just a dozen pull ups, it might go away. Or it won't, and I'll just lose my ability to do them...

I'm in a rush. I knock out push ups, but have to close my eyes for the first three reps because I'm dizzy enough to feel queasy. Then everything settles and I can finish. I do scissors, cross-body bicycles and crunches to avoid chafing my tailbone with movements like lower ab knee-ins or sit ups. I'm just not built for certain exercises.

There's a woman at the Smith so I don't bother with any Push Day movements. I don't have time. All the ellipticals are free though. I barely have time for 30 minutes plus the 5 minute cool down, but that's what I want to do. Done! Another set of pull ups. Then off to shower and change and rush home to grab my son so I can drive back to the same parking lot. Because the movie theater is two doors down from the gym.

My son has just gotten up. I make him put on shorts and a t-shirt, otherwise he'd be wearing his flannel cargo pants and a long sleeve shirt. We both chug down some chilled Ensure protein shakes. We get to the movies just as the last trailer is ending. Whew!

This is a fun fun fun movie. Box office receipts show this moving top grossing this past opening weekend, with the critic's favored Lucky Logan coming in a paltry 3rd place. Yes, it was savaged by the critics but we've learned that critics live on another planet. (I've read reviews where I'm convinced we were watching different movies.) If they hate the movie, chances are good that the movie is something we'll enjoy. (This is no more so evident in the Oscar-winning La La Land. I don't know anyone who watched it, much less liked it. I started streaming it and fell asleep. And normally I love musicals. I also got really bored with Lost in Translation. Yeah yeah, Sofia Coppola and Bill Murray and Scarlett Johansonn. But soooo boring.) Okay, I admit it. I've probably got more in common with teenage boys when it comes to clothes and movies than with women my own age. Oh well...

Back to The Hitman's Bodyguard. It moves really fast so there's no drag, no down time, no wasted dialogue. It doesn't feel like 2 hours. Familiar songs are interjected for humor. And it's wickedly funny, from the verbal sparring between the two main characters, to the flash back encounters. The chase scenes are awesome, and crazy enough for us to wonder about upcoming video games. It's shot beautifully. Not as sleek as Baby Driver, but it also didn't take 10 years to make. If you loved DeadPool, then you're going to love this. Because, you know, Ryan Reynolds...


Tuesday
6.96 total cardio miles
109.6 lbs

30 min x-trainer + 5cd
Calories 159
Miles 4.08
Average Heart Rate 155

HGPU 26
Push Ups 50
Scissors 50
Cross Body Bicycle 50
Crunches 50

30 min elliptical + 5cd
Program 1
Calories 321
Miles 2.88
Average Heart Rate 144

HGPU 26

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...