Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Pushing the Push Day

I was up until 3 am because my husband was suppose to be back from Texas, but his flight got delayed and then he was stranded in Maryland. 3 am was the last time he texted me. I got up this morning and no word. Eventually I got myself to the gym and it was a rushed event, because I was meeting another Scout parent this afternoon. She's handing off her duties as Advancement Chair, and I've volunteered for the responsibilities. Because someone has to do it, and no one stepped up. In truth, we have a very small Troop. And we have a lot of older boys who have made Eagle, and will no longer be participating in future events. Which means their parents are most likely leaving as well. That's not always the case though. The Assistant Troop Master, and our Committee Chair were Scouts a long time ago. But they love it. And we're happy to have them provide leadership and organizational continuity. As school starts, so will recruitment efforts... Sigh.

When I got back from the gym today, I nearly backed right into my husband's car because I couldn't see it in the driveway. He'd parked halfway on the lawn on the passenger side of our narrow one-lane, downward-sloping driveway. I can't see over my right shoulder backing up — the headrest gets in the way. Usually, peering out of my side window allows me to back in straight. But of course, I wasn't expecting his "invisible" car to be there. Luckily I was inching back but still. There's that sudden thunk when you hit something solid, and the Sirius Radio antenna goes flying off the dashboard into the passenger seat! No damage to either car though... thank goodness! I didn't get his text about catching the 8 am flight until just now, nearly 11 hours later. Technology is great. When it works.

I do my 30 plus minutes on the cross-trainer, and then a few pull ups. My left elbow complains. It was achy this morning when I woke up. As was my right shoulder. I rubbed the offending spots with Penetrex creme and felt better. It's not a cure though. On the Mat, all I do is a few push ups, and then a quick lower back stretch. I count 5 dizzying reps before my head settles down. Doing push ups while the world is spinning doesn't feel all that great, but at least it doesn't last.

The Smith is free and the small flat bench is nearby. I hadn't really planned to do Flat Benching, but I don't really have the time-luxury of dragging inclined benches over from the DB area. The first few sets feel okay, except for my left palm. I have tiny bony hands. Eventually, the weight of the bar plus becomes quite painful. I am wearing padded lifting gloves! These tiny hands, and my shallow, delicate joints are the weak links in my training. But there's little I can do except to work around them. The last heavy set doesn't feel as easy. I don't push past 10 reps because I'm worried that those last two reps will cause the shoulder to twinge. I hate being fearful, but I'd rather be safe than miserable.  I feel out of shape though because the high rep sets are kicking my butt. As in causing me to pause at rep 10, 15 and 20 before finishing. For both sets. Ugh. I've been better at this.

When people get too close I tend to mutter under my breath. Yes, I have personal space issues! Small people tend to get defensive because bigger people tend to intrude. Especially guys. The Mayor is here today, running between doing Rip Skulls and something at the Squat Rack that isn't squats. I click the volume up to drown out his raspy voice. I'm at the DB area to do my quick supersets for delts. There are a few young men I don't recognize. Or maybe they used to be boys before the summer, and now they've hit puberty? Kids become teenagers become men so quickly! I know this just from watching my son change right before my eyes...

I'm not game for dealing with my bluetooth headphone collar rolling up into my face, so no Rip Skulls for me today. Instead, I wander back to the cable stations. Someone has left the V-bar in place there. Yaaay me! I only do 3 sets of cable press downs, and stop at 40 lbs. When I go heavier, I lose my form and this puts too much pressure on that pesky labral shoulder tear. Done! Whew!

Tomorrow I'll shoot for a Pull Day, but I'm just as happy doing cardio and body weight stuff. Seriously.

Wednesday

30 x-trainer + 5cd
Calories 163
Miles 4.31

HGPU 26
Push Ups 50

Smith Flat Bench
Bar x 15
80 x 12
100 x 12
120 x 10
90 x 25
80 x 25

DB Laterals s/s Rev Incl Flyes
20/25 x 12/15reps x 3

Triceps Press Down V Bar
20lbs x 15
30 x 12
40 x 12


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...