Friday, August 4, 2017

A Nice Friday

Today is my son's last day at the summer camp he has attended since he was 4 yrs old. The camp has changed a lot although the basic facilities are mostly the same. Still, as much as I grumble about having to drop him off and pick him up (mostly because the staff gets confused with their directions), I will miss taking him here. Already I'm wondering if we can't stick it out another few years until he becomes a CIT, and then maybe a counselor. I've heard that that's considered a good summer job. Better than working fast food in any event.

I get to the gym on time, warm up on the elliptical and then do my shoulders. There's an old guy giving me a curious look while I do the T, Y and I raises. Old guys seem to think that staring is perfectly acceptable. I'm glad I don't talk to people because "WTF is your problem?" is what would most likely come out of my mouth.

After 7 rounds of Beginner at the Nexersys, I check my phone. My sis texts that she is running late so that gives me extra time. Yaaaay! I can do 7 rounds of Intermediate now. I bruise my right pinky knuckle on a powerful Cross Dig. I need to keep better form since the smaller knuckles really shouldn't be making contact. I don't have this problem with my left hand. Ugh...

Both machines are still broken. I don't care as long as one is working enough to call for combinations on the monitor. Sometimes the system gets a bit wacky and skips around. I have to remember to pull all my Jabs, Hooks, Cross and Elbows since they don't register anyway. Some of the Sweeps don't register either. The sensors on the lower pads are dying as well... Nothing I can do about it.

I just have enough time to strip off my gear and knock out some pull ups before I shower. The mirror tells me that I'm sweaty and puffy. I'm not quite sure why my cheeks look so full lately. It's not a look that I appreciate, and makes me want to drop more weight. I've sucked down almost all my water, and my hair is sodden. The gym scale reads 110.8 lbs. Well, that's not going in the right direction!

My sis and her new beau meet me at the local library where my photo show is up for another week. Again, all the postcards are gone. I guess I should've reprinted more of them as soon as I realized how fast they were disappearing. My sis really likes the postcard and offers to buy the actual print, but with the frame. I'll have to charge more because dang it, frames cost money. Yes, I'm charging my sister for my work because I need to register at least one sale this year. We decide to go to lunch and I suggest the local seafood shop which doubles as a restaurant. My sis never gets to eat fish at home because no one else in her family likes seafood. That's so sad. My dad was from Shanghai, a seaport, and often cooked sea bass, shrimp, scallops, lobster and crab.

Rick's Seafood has done some renovations since I was there last so I'm surprised to see big black and white photos on the wall where there used to be a refrigerated display case. My sis asks the waitress if they'd be willing to show my work. The waitress says she'll ask the manager when said person arrives later in the evening. Yes, my sis and I have different dispositions! Her beau suggests the art fairs up by where they live. It's track season, and Saratoga has a lively and monied cultural center. "You should show your work at the craft fairs! You'd clean up. People up there would definitely buy your stuff!" My sis and her beau leave to continue their drive to the Poconos where they are meeting up with his brother for a weekend on the lake there.

I've never thought about doing that, but maybe I should. It's probably too late now, but maybe next year. It's just that I'm such a homebody... I hate distance driving, probably because as comfortable and adjustable as my car is, I still don't fit quite right. With my tiny hands, I tend to grip the steering wheel tightly, which is probably too close to my chest even though I've put the seat back far enough for me to just reach the pedals. It's not ideal. And no, I don't want to put blocks on the pedals. Ugh.

My son and husband leave for Camp Read on Sunday. I'll be traveling with a friend to see the Dale Chihuly exhibit at the New York Botanic Gardens. The last time I saw Chihuly at the Botanic Gardens, it was with the same friend, and my mother-in-law, who has since passed away. I'm sure my dog will sleep in front of the door until I get home. I'll just have to get myself motivated to get up early each morning, hit the gym, and then get some actual work done, like finding work. Sigh...

Friday

10 min elliptical
Calories 91
Miles 0.82

T, Y & I Raises
3lbs x 15
5lbs x 15

Mid Band Pull 15
High Band Pull 15

Nexersys Follow Me
7r Beginner
7r Intermediate

HGPU 26

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like your sister and her beau have some good ideas about your photo work! I hope you consider their suggestions. Maybe she could/would help you run a booth at the craft fairs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I doubt that. She's way too busy to stand around. Plus craft fairs usually require a hefty fee upfront. Stil, it's worth checking out even if it is a 3 hr drive.

      Delete

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...