Monday, August 14, 2017

Just Give Me Water

When I was a child, I would never drink plain tap water. That was something you used to clean your hands and body, soak dishes in, dissolve dirt and grease at the laundromat. You used it to revive plants, and pets. But actually drink it? I didn't like the smell of pipes or disinfectant. Perhaps I'm just that perennially picky kid? Beverages had palatable tastes mostly, and some had texture. Like orange juice, milk and hot cocoa. I didn't learn to appreciate the texture and taste of water until I was much much older. Our water comes from a shallow well outside our house. It's hard, mineralized water that tastes good, and destroys plumbing and laundry. We have an RO filter on our drinking water, because it IS a shallow well, as in maybe 30 feet deep. The neighbor across from us had to drill a new well that was closer to 700 feet. We sit on wetlands, He doesn't. We have underground streams criss-crossing under our property. He probably doesn't.

I drink a good liter or more of this water every day that I work out. When I get home I drink more, but sometimes I want something different. This summer, my son and I sampled the various flavored seltzers and tea-lemonade combinations. I'm always so shocked by how much added sugar each bottle contains that I find myself buying the Diet version. I figure sucralose is better than aspartame. But when we get home and pour a glass, I find that the beverage does just the opposite of quenching my thirst. Instead, it makes my mouth feel just slightly dry. Just enough for me to want to swallow another mouthful. It's insidious like that. Diet drinks make you want to drink more, just to rid your tongue of that vague after-taste. My hubs tells me that I'm too sensitive. Perhaps. Just give me water.

Today is promising. No vertigo when I wake up, but my head feels fuzzy and tender all the same. I can feel heat and pain for a minute or two, emanating from inside my right ear, under my cheekbone. Then it's gone. I'm on the edge of dizziness. It's better than actually being dizzy, but not by much. Today's an abbreviated workout so I'll have time to take my photo show down so I know my priorities. First there's cardio. Because if I don't get anything else done, cardio will be the most important. Especially for someone with mitral valve prolapse, as per all the online literature.

I'm hesitant at the Stretch Cage because looking up makes me dizzy. Today it's not so bad. What makes me a little ill actually, is doing push ups! Okay, that's new, and unpleasant enough to quell any desire to do more sets. I'd been toying with the idea of doing some push up variations, like T-push ups but not today! Since the big adjustable inclined bench is near the Smith, that's what I use. Benching doesn't make me want to hurl, but I have no desire to do flat benching. (The Smith feels a little sticky in the glide track.) Inclined Benching is just fine today since I don't push nearly as much weight on this movement. I've skipped shoulder warm ups but they don't feel bad.

I can't actually see myself doing Inclined DB Flyes, which feels kind of weird. Again, I'm just doing it for the stretch, and I keep my elbows bent at least 30°. Bent elbows are safer elbows for someone with joint issues. Then my routine DB Lateral Raises superset with Reverse Inclined Flyes. Finish with Rip Skulls. Again, I'm having trouble keeping the Skull Candy neck yoke from rolling up into my chin during the pullover phase of this particular type of skull crusher. Ugh. I look at the clock. No time for more cardio or anything else. Maybe tomorrow...

Monday / Push Day

30 min x-trainer + 5cd
Calories 160
Miles 4.12
Average Heart Rate 145

HGPU 26
Push Ups 50
Lower Ab Scissors 50
Cross Body Bicycle 50
Crunches 50

Smith Inclined Press
Bar (30) x 15
50 x 13
70 x 13
80 x 12
90 x 12
60 x 25
50 x 25

DB Inclined Flyes
10lbs x 12
15lbs x 12
20lbs x

DB Laterals s/s Rev Incl Flyes
20/25lbs x 12/15reps x 3 sets

Rip Skulls
40lbs x 12reps x 3sets

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...