Monday, August 7, 2017

Seasonal Vertigo

I've been experiencing mild bouts of vertigo all summer long. Today marks a new chapter in that it's substantially worse than it has been for months. It doesn't stop me from doing what I need to do, but it does slow me down quite a bit. When I tilt my head back to administer my glaucoma eye drops, I'm immediately so dizzy that I have to grip the side of my chair. I'm probably also clenching my teeth, seated as motionless as possible until the nauseating wave passes. Ugh. My nose is mildly drippy. Allergies to something. I decide to try rinsing my sinuses with a warm saline solution to see if that will help. I'm not congested. I don't have a sinus headache. But I feel spacey and it's very disconcerting, and certainly not very productive. Because I can't think. I feel like I'm on drugs. Except that I'm not.

I nuke a cup of water with 1/4 tsp salt until it's boiling. Then I have to let it cool. That's 30 minutes right there. It's hard to get chores down around the house when every other move might make you dizzy enough to fall over. Ugh. It's raining today, and I'm having such a hard time getting my gear together that I tell myself it's okay if I put a few things off until tomorrow, when the skies should be clearer, and maybe the air pressure will not be a factor in what feels like "seasonal vertigo." Except I don't believe I'm suffering from migraines.

I'm fine doing 30 minutes on the cross-trainer, and I add the 5 minute cool down too. But when I get to the Stretch Cage, I have trouble with the basic "raise one leg and touch your head to your shin" move. I shut my eyes and let the feeling pass. It's what I do when I'm on a amusement park ride, even benign ones like The Simpsons down at Universal Theme Park. No, I'm not a roller coaster type of gal. And this seems to be even worse now that I'm older.

Everything else is okay: crunches, planks, push ups and knee-ins. Even pull ups were okay, even as I was recovering from the nausea of tilting my head. The Smith is free and I decide that today's a Push Day. But no flat benching. I'd like to keep my head fairly upright today. I completely forget to do any shoulder warm ups and move right into Smith Inclined Benching. I feel pretty good, even adding a few sets of Inclined DB Flyes. I don't really expect this movement to do anything for me, except maybe add a gentle stretch to the pectorals.

There are a lot of guys here today who I don't recognize. And a few that I do. A couple of young women. I guess the Wonder Woman incentive has worn off. After delts, there's triceps. And then normally I do 30 minutes on the elliptical. Today, I'm suddenly disinterested. Maybe even a bit tired. I punch in 15 minutes for a leisurely jogging pace. I'll make tomorrow a real cardio day. Right now, I'm just doing lazy LISS (low intensity steady state) as a precursor to changing things up. I tracked my food all last week, except for yesterday. Because it's not possible to figure out what exactly is in restaurant food if it's not listed in the database. So I skipped yesterday's entries all together. But that still doesn't make up for the disappointment I felt on Saturday's weigh-in. My home scale read 109.4 lbs and 15.4%. The same exact reading as the week before. Serious stagnation!

Yesterday, I went off the reservation, having had a souped up Bah-Mi pork sandwich (that contained foie gras) at the NY Botanic Gardens for lunch, and ginger chicken & string beans at a local Chinese restaurant for dinner. (Salt and fat galore, I'm sure.) I did have a very good time though because it's literally been months since my friend and I have had a meal together. And yesterday, her cousin joined us. So it was a Girls Night Out. We chatted about everything and had a lot of laughs.

The gym scale today tells me a harrowing 112.4 lbs. Good grief! There had better be a few pounds of salt-induced water-retention there! Well, the one thing about having vertigo is that it really kills your appetite. Just as well...

Monday
5.14 total miles

30 min x-trainer + 5cd
Calories 172
Miles 4.14
Average Heart Rate 151

HGPU 26
Knee-Ins 50
Push Ups 50
Crunches 3 x 50
Bird Dogs 2 x 60s
Side Planks 2 x 60s

Smith Inclined Press
Bar (30) x 15
50 x 12
70 x 12
80 x 12
90 x 12
60 x 25
50 x 25

Inclined DB Flyes
10lbs x 12
15 x 12
20 x 12

DB Laterals s/s Rev Incl Flyes
20/25lbs x 12/15reps x 3 sets

Rip Skulls
40lbs x 12reps x 3 sets

15 min LISS
Elliptical manual
Calories 98
Miles 1.02
Average Heart Rate 114

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...