Friday, August 11, 2017

Maybe It's a Migraine?

I wasn't horribly dizzy when I got up this morning. But I was a bit queasy. And that sensation lingers even now, hours later. In the interim, I've had a cup of tea, fed and walked the dog, gone to the gym to do 14 rounds whacking the kickboxing machine, did one set of pull ups (and got dizzy looking up at the bars), changed and showered, went grocery shopping, took the dog out again, started laundry, sorted mail, and started researching the symptoms and duration for migraines. It's the queasiness that makes me wonder if it's a migraine. Although this type of headache is only suppose to last for 4-72 hours, and mine seems to have occurred over a period of weeks. But I've had days without vertigo. The persistent nausea is new. But I did change my diet so I can't rule that out as a cause either.

The other symptom that makes me suspect migraine, is that my scalp is ridiculously sensitive. To the point where I can't clip my hair up because that hurts too much. And wearing reading glasses atop my head feels heavy. I've never had that issue before. I've even had to loosen my braid because of the pulling sensation on my scalp. Weird, right? I've only had one confirmed case of a migraine before, and that was a peculiar ocular migraine where I suddenly experienced a bizarre, geometric black and white border of shapes (like trapezoids) framing my vision. It happened while I was pumping gas. My boyfriend (now my hubs) was in the passenger seat. I told him that I felt weird so he took over driving. Later I started to feel very queasy and had to lay down. But it was over in a few hours. And that was almost 20 years ago. (My mother used to claim migraines all the time, but I don't know that she was ever officially diagnosed since she avoided the medical profession. And with good reason. She was the type of personality that invited unwanted male attention, even from doctors. I've no doubt that my mother suffered from all sorts of abuse.)

Yesterday I bought some green tea with matcha and sipped a cup into the late afternoon. I'm sure it's why I had trouble sleeping last night as I was awake until 2 am. The packaging of the Lipton brand doesn't provide a caffeine amount, which was disappointing. This morning I had a choice of brewing an entire pot of fresh coffee, resorting to instant coffee (like Starbucks Via or Cafe Bustelo instant espresso), or testing a cup of Yogi brand energy tea. The latter's package states it contains roughly the equivalent amount of caffeine as a cup of coffee. Because I don't need to add sugar or creamer to it, the food app states I've had zero calories for breakfast. I'm also not hungry.

By the time I get home, it's well past 3 pm and I'm ravenous. But first things first. By the time I get around to making oatmeal with frozen blueberries and a scoop of whey powder, I'm past being hungry. I also suck down the latest Abbott Laboratories Ensure "high protein" drink (16 grams protein). I had a coupon for it so it was only 99¢ per serving. I'm amused that they've changed their high protein formula YET again. The last version was over 330 calories with a nasty, gooey texture meant to put weight on frail elderly folks. Oil ranked high on the ingredient list. I haven't seen it lately — good riddance!

I do wish they would bring back their original high protein formula which contained 24 grams of protein in a fairly innocuous vanilla or Dutch chocolate base, and only 220 calories. Meanwhile, the Abbott Laboratories EAS brand (for muscleheads) is disgusting. Still, in a pinch, I'll chow down a Quest bar because it doesn't taste bad (neutral flavors like Wildberry, Almond Coconut and Banana Nut), has 20 gms protein, and doesn't leave an aftertaste (if you buy the right flavor). I am, however, extremely amused by all the companies jumping on the high protein band-wagon. Even venerables like Stonyfield, and Chobani have twice as much sugar as protein in their "good for you" shakes. Yeah, right. Not falling for that. Bad enough there's Gatorade Recover Shake (20 gms protein/20 gms sugar), and Under Armour BodyArmor which is just basically sugar. Drinking orange juice is a better deal.

Dead machine to the right
My workout was good today. The gym was very quiet. I was quite surprised to see several college women in the free weight area. The old men didn't show up until past noon. There is only one kickboxing machine up and running now. I'm pleasantly surprised that the Cross arm has a working sensor in it today! So the only thing that doesn't register is the Jab arm, which also means it doesn't register Lead Hook and Lead Elbows. A gal at the front desk tells me that the other machine is down because they're waiting for parts. Seriously? I've got my fingers crossed. Or, it's just something Gym Owner tells his staff. Hard to know. I see him training various different clients, but not on a regular basis. In my mind, all the women want muscles like mine. Or at least the ability to do a pull up.

Friday

10 min elliptical
Calories 91
Miles 0.82

T, Y & I Raises
3lbs x 15
5lbs x 15

Mid Band Pulls x 15
High Band Pulls x 15

Nexersys Follow Me
7r Beginner
7r Intermediate

HGPU 26




No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...