Thursday, February 29, 2024

Leap Day and It's Freezing Cold

It's Leap Day and bitterly cold, barely breaching the freezing point. What a contrast to yesterday's rainy, balmy 50F. The gym isn't too crowded and I've given up on the ear hooks for now. The earbud tethers don't stick to my face today but I'm still fiddling with my earbuds as I pedal. Well, at least I made it past 2.9...

Because Thursdays tend to be quieter, I decide to do the DB Shoulder routine. There's just a few guys in the free weight area. No big deal. Although I'm able to complete my sets without any issue, I know that I'm going to be exhausted later. The Aerobics Room is a great place to cool down because it's so cold. I run through my routine, and only interrupt the Walking Lunges to finally speak to the kid with the slouch.

I tell him he's free to ignore everything I say, but that I just wanted him to understand that standing up straight with his shoulders back will help him. Forward hunched shoulders constrict the chest cavity and impede breathing, leads to problems with the neck and spine later in life. He seems amenable to my advice, smiles and thanks me. I hope I had a positive effect on him, but I'll never know. Of course, I'll be totally oblivious to everyone else as usual the next time I'm at the gym. Because I'm at the gym to work out.

29 February 2024 11:37-1:19
Arctic Leap Day Thursday

Precor elliptical #1
Program 1
Time: 30+5 (5866)
Distance: 2.92
Cal: 328
Avg Hr: NA 166, 200-81
Fitbit: 56-158

Incl DB Press s/s Lateral Raises s/s Rev Incline Flys
10 lbs x 25/15/25 warm up
15 lbs x 25/15/25
20/15/20 x 25/15/25 x 3 sets

20 Hip Bridges
Piriformis/Hip/Pencil Stretch
DeadBugs 20 x 5
20 Hip Bridges & 10 one-leg
Quick Child’s Pose
Cat stretch 12
Child’s Pose / Cobra Pose
Fire Hydrants 20 x 2
Bird Dog Planks 60s x 2
Push-Ups 25
Air Squats 25
Arm rotations 20
Walking lunges 32 steps total
Neck stretch / Eye yoga
Wall Squat 90s (!!!)



No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...