Thursday, February 22, 2024

The "Off" Day Is Popular

It was nice at the dog park this morning in that there was little wind and it took a while standing on packed snow/ice for the feet to get cold. There was some sun, and eventually, just as we were about to leave, another pup showed up to play. So we were there for an additional 20 minutes before the "mortal enemy" dogs arrived and we definitely had to leave. I got to the gym a bit late and there were few cars in the parking lot. Which meant I was completely unprepared for the amount of people inside. Ugh. 

Maybe it's the threat of bad weather from tonight into tomorrow? We're expecting a cold rain with temps in the high 30s, but the towns have laid down salt lines on the roadways, meaning they're expecting something worse. I still plan on park time with the pups, and then the gym, but I could be wrong. We could be stuck with sleet and icy roads...

I did get to pedal my preferred elliptical, but my legs felt like logs and I barely made it to 2.9 in spite of singing along with my tunes. So, I had little hope of achieving the previous number of pull-ups, because I'm tired and sore. Yesterday's combo workout probably justified extended recovery time, except I don't exercise on weekends, and it's already Thursday. I cannot emphasize how surprised I am to pull myself up with relative ease for the first dozen reps. Then my forearms start to fatigue and I struggle with the last two reps, but it's as good as last time. I can saunter off to the Aerobics Room with my head held high past all the HS kids and senior citizens.

Core exercises are routine. There are a few regulars who come in and stretch for a few minutes and then leave. I fight the urge to tell a teenage boy to stand up straight because he sports tell-tale Gen Z posture: curved upper back and neck forward, as if leading with his face. It's best remedied by practicing squeezing your shoulder blades back (or getting your bent elbows to reach each other behind your back), and standing straight up against a wall or flat on the floor. 

If the back of your head doesn't also lay on the same plane, you've got some work to do to correct your neck curvature. Over time this curve will exaggerate (your head is a constant weight) and make you shorter, give you neck and shoulder problems, and impede your breathing by closing the chest cavity. It's hard to inhale properly if you're curled up like a snail. But I'm not sure I want to get involved and give advice. Because that could be more trouble than it's worth, and no good deed goes unpunished...

22 February 2024 11:53-1:11
Thursday Late & sore & it’s crowded!

Precor elliptical #1
Program 3
Time: 30+5 (5814)
Distance: 2.90
Cal: 326
Avg Hr: NA 152, 198-75
Fitbit: 56-158

HGPU 18 (2 struggle)

20 Hip Bridges
Piriformis/Hip/Pencil Stretch
DeadBugs 20 x 5
30 Hip Bridges & 10 one-leg
Quick Child’s Pose
Cat stretch 12
Child’s Pose / Cobra Pose
Fire Hydrants 20 x 2
Bird Dog Planks 60s x 2
Push-Ups 25
Air Squats 25
Arm rotations 20
Walking lunges 38 steps total
Neck stretch / Eye yoga
Wall Squat 90s (!!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...